AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Display APP install Ad Campaign and it seems that placement targeting for websites is not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I took over an adwords account and there I have a campaign for App installs just running on the display network - display app install ad campaign for the android app. 

The campaign is over 1 year old and still running and there is an adgroup with specific placement targeting of about 100 websites. The bid strategy is CPA.

I tried to set up a similar campaign with new ads but was not able to select a placement targeting of websites. There is just a placement targeting of other APPs available. So the question is, did Google change here the option to target websites as a placement????

Display APP install Ad Campaign and it seems that placement targeting for websites is not working

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Florian B

What are you selecting when you are starting a new campaign?  Display Network or Universal App Campaign?  I think for what you are looking to do you need to select Display Network, and then choose "Install your mobile app" as the marketing objective.  You should then be able to go into the Display Network tab and add your manual placements.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks for the fast reply Smiley Happy. it's Display Network and then App installs, but it seems that this targeting option is just gone forever. I just tried it out with setting up a new campaign. What is really interesting that this placement option seems to run in the old campaign, but when I try to ad new placements (website URLs) there it just says "this option is not available in this campaign type", haha. crazy stuff. 

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Florian B

I don't know if there has been a change. I have an account in my MCC that has the same type of campaign you describe. Display, App Install, manual website placements. I ran many of those 2-3 years ago.  Unfortunately, I don't have the correct permission to select any apps now when creating a new campaign to try and see what you are seeing.

If there has been a change, it makes sense that the old campaign still works.  Just like with standard text ads in search.  They still run, but you can no longer create them. 

One possible workaround might be to try copying and pasting the old campaign.  Then go in and edit the placements and other targeting options as necessary. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

yep, tried the workaround in multiple ways. Just copying the whole campaign, then just the adgroup and now I just copied the new Ads into the old campaign Smiley Happy so they are also targeted with the website placement targeting. But good to know that you have seen something like this before with the standard text ads.