Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Direct Conversions vs. View-Through Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have an issue with one of my campaigns where I am getting a few direct conversions and a considerably higher number of view-through conversions through Display Select. 

What do you think is the problem in this campaign and how can I optimise it to be better? How can I convince people to click direct rather than view through? 

Is it a bad thing to have in your campaign to have low direct conversions and a lot of view-through conversions?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

"Is it a bad thing to have in your campaign to have low direct conversions and a lot of view-through conversions?"

No. If that is the goal of the campaign.

"How can I convince people to click direct rather than view through?"

It's all about the ad content, and landing page. If users aren't actually clicking the ads, then you have to keep experimenting with your ad copy and try to find a message that improves your CTR. Even if you are getting traffic through the ads, that doesn't mean the current final URL/landing page actually converts. Keep experimenting with those combinations until you find something that works for you.

If you're getting view through conversions, then the advertising is working, in that your customers are seeing your ads. If they aren't actually clicking on those ads, then keep working on the ad content.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply. The goal is obviously direct conversions because I need to justify the budget being spent on Google Search adverts through how many direct conversions we get. 

The argument I always get into is: "if I am ranking organically on several keywords why do I need to spend the money on search adverts?"

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kurt B
April

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

That's where analytics comes into play. You have to know where the traffic and conversions/sales are actually coming from. If you don't have any back-end data, then you just have to guess at what might work and see if it actually does.

If most of your budget is going to display, but all the conversions/sales come from search, then you need to get in front of the search audience. Separate your search and display campaigns, and see what happens if you focus more of the budget on search network advertising.

Searching for something indicates immediate interest. You may be more likely to get direct conversions from search than display.

Tom