AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Different Campaigns with same remarketing audiences

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys, pretty new to this and this is my first post so be gentle.

I want to run multiple campaigns targeting the same remarketing audiences or difference audiences that may include the same users.

I want them to receive equal viewing and not bid against each other. I'm doing this as the products are very different and I want to keep separate budgets for all the ads.

If I could set budgets at the ad level then I would just clump them all in the same ad group and set them rotate evenly but obviously this is not possible.

I was thinking about keeping them in different campaigns and picking CPM. I would consider frequency capping if necessary but would rather have the option to not have to.

So how would the experts approach this?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Different Campaigns with same remarketing audiences

Top Contributor
# 11
Top Contributor
Hi James,

No, the GDN will not always show 2 different ads. I have seen 2 of the same ad on one page.

I've run remarketing with no other targeting and no frequency cap, expecting the more impressions the more clicks. It didn't really work out that way. I kept seeing my ad everywhere I went, and it was annoying me. I can just imagine how our prospects felt about it. I added some other targeting and a frequency cap and I'm much happier with results now.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Personally, the way I have approached this in the past is to use frequency capping per ad group. There is no real need to run different campaigns since G will only serve one ad per account in any given ad slot, but by using the frequency cap you can ensure that each ad (one ad version per ad group) gets exposure.

However this doesn't solve the different budgets issue as this IS controlled at campaign level. So if you really need to have different budgets for different product groups, you will have to complicate it more.

But - and here is the problem... if you are simply targeting your remarketing audience without any other targeting, G will most likely serve the ads from the campaign with the bigger budget and the higher bids. You might have to look at controlling this through scheduling, but you'll be adding layers of complexity that will make the analysis almost impossible later on....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
There would be no other targeting options at all. Just audiences.

As for most products, I would like an even amount of exposure then they will probably have exact same budget and bids. Thing is I can't just keep even rotation on and clump in same adgroup as some campaigns for products will not be starting and finishing at the same time, and some may get renewed and some may not.

If everything was exact same but in different campaigns I imagine that the mini-auction would give the best performing ad the placement. In that case, would it go like this until that budget has depleted and then move onto the second best one and so on?

I know this is quite and odd situation, and I'm gonna have to start experimenting myself soon to see what the answer is but well appreciate the input.

Scheduling is not an option as I would like these ads to run simultaneously. Looks like frequency capping is the best option so far though again, not ideal.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi James C,

Quick question: For search or display?

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Display. Isn't all remarketing display?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Nope - you have the remarketing lists for search ads (RLSA) option....

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi James,

The reason I ask is with a display campaign more than one ad from your account can be shown on a single content page, especially if your campaigns and ad groups all have the same targeting. You might consider adding keywords for the different products so an ad somewhat related to the page content could be shown.

Best of Luck,

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Having multiple ads on one page would be perfectly acceptable as they would be different products. In fact, that would be perfect for me.

Would the GDN always show 2 different ads in that situation or is there still a chance that one of the campaigns would get 2 impressions?

Man, this stuff is complex.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Not if you set the frequency cap to 1 ad impression per ad group per day - that way the system would be forced to show ads from different ad groups....

And, yes - it's complex ;-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I would rather avoid frequency capping as I'm looking for maximum exposure for all my products.