AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Different CPC for same Keywords in Different Locations?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm considering a few improvements and one of the ideas I had was to change my target location from a city and break it down instead to zipcodes. At the moment I have generic city keywords for my campaign which is targeting a city. Just as an example, assume my target city is Chicago and my keyword phrase is Chicago Plumbers and this is set to a $10 CPC. 

Now imagine seperated my campaigns by targeting different zipcode locations instead. In zipcode 12345 I know I have more people/exposure and in zipcode 88888 I know there are less people/exposure. Would I be able to place a $15 CPC bid for the term Chicago Plumbers in zipcode 12345 and a $5 CPC bid in zipcode 88888?

I'm guessing that theoretically if my competitors are bidding on a city target location for the same term for a $10 CPC, I will probably beat them in the more attractive zipcode.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Thank you! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Different CPC for same Keywords in Different Locations?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well.... CPC is a location dependent...That's a fact. There are many reasons for that: local competition; local culture; consumer behavior etc.... With the new keyword planner you can see CPCs per location.
This is the reason I like to set campaigns by Geo regions, and to tailor the landing page per location. I wouldn't "go" up to  to a zip code level for setting an initial CPC, but certainly use the  state / city CPC as an initial bid.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Different CPC for same Keywords in Different Locations?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Moshe,

I think I actually figured out how to get what I was asking...
In my target location I added all the zipcodes in the city I am targeting (instead of the city itself). After this I noticed I can adjust my bids (similar to the mobile/desktop bid adjustments) by target location, in my case zipcodes.

So a zipcode with lets say a population 100K will receive a +40% bid than a zipcode with a population of only 5K.

Thanks!