Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Different Adgroups for different Match types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey!

I just tried to separate different match types, but similar, keyowrds by creating separate ad groups for each match types.

For ex. for broad match separate ad group and for phrase match separate ad group and for phrase match separate ad group. I've made this chages so that all the match types do not compete with each other and for this I've also added all the exact match keywords as negative exact match in rest two type match types keywords.

Now the problem is that my phrase match ad group is not recieving any impressions saying that:

- This keyword is triggering ads from another ad group with a similar keyword: epson stylus pro 4800 ink cartridges

And

- A negative keyword ([exact match]) is preventing your ad from showing.

Please shed some light on this issue and help me out.

Thanks in advance

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Different Adgroups for different Match types

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

"- A negative keyword ([exact match]) is preventing your ad from showing."

For the broad/phrase adgroups, if you add the negative exact term, then you will always see that message for that exact term. As long as you don't add the exact negative to the exact KW adgroup, then the exact adgroup should always trigger an ad to show for that exact search term. That error message for the broad/phrase terms is no concern in that case, it's exactly what you want to happen with that structure.

"- This keyword is triggering ads from another ad group with a similar keyword:"

That's always a possibility with broad/phrase match terms. If a broad match KW (ex.) epson stylus pro has a higher adrank, then an ad may show for the higher ranked term.

In general, if you have broad, phrase, and exact match of the same KW term, then try to preview or diagnose the exact match term. You added the negatives to make sure that the exact match adgroup would trigger the ad for that exact search query, not the broad or phrase match adgroups. As long as ads are showing for the exact terms, you're OK.

"the problem is that my phrase match ad group is not recieving any impressions"

The phrase match of that particular KW, may not trigger enough underlying search query traffic to accrue any impressions, or the adrank for those terms may be too low to show an ad. The broad match adgroup, may win more auctions, or qualify to show ads for broader queries that have a high enough adrank to show an ad.

What about the overall average performance since the structural change? Has it improved?

Tom

Re: Different Adgroups for different Match types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wondering the same thing