star_border

Difference Interest Categories & Similar Audiences

IsI
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
IsI
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I am researching some more features I could use to improve the quality of my Display Network traffic.

Ive set up Remarketing couple of weeks ago which is now all running fine.

Also implemented Interest Categories in few other campaigns and also this seems to have a good influence on (some of) the campaign.

Now I just read the article on the new feauture: Reaching Similar Audiences. https://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2676774

I do understand it uses the remarketing lists you have set up and will look for more people (that have not been to your website yet) with similar seraching habits etc.

However right now, I cannot see the the difference between the Interest Categories and those Similar Audiences, besides you didn't pick a category but this is determined based on you remarketing. Does anyone know what the value will be to use Similar Audiences. And also, how to use those? In the same ad groups as you already use your remarketing? Or in a new 'Similar Audience' Campaign?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Difference Interest Categories & Similar Audiences

IsI
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
IsI
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No one has any idea??

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Dear Isl,

Great question! Interest Categories are pre-defined categories that allows you target a group of people based on their interests. You can choose to target your ads to people interested in various types of categories, from sports to home and garden. For more information regarding Interest Categories, please reference the following article:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497940

The similar audiences feature on the other hand will only target users who have the same type of browsing behavior as the audience on your remarketing list. So with interest categories you can choose to target x, y, z users who are interested in a particular topic whereas with similar audiences, the system will identify users similar to those who have already been on your site (not necessarily someone interested in a particular topic).

To set up similar audiences you will actually want to follow the directions underneath the  'Add Similar Audiences to an ad group' section on the article you had posted:

https://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2676774

You will set them up in the Ad Groups you already have your remarketing list in.

The plus of using 'Similar Audiences' is that the system will show your ads to those who have similar browsing behaviors as those who are on your remarketing audience list. Therefore the hope would be that these users would also be interested in your site since they look at similar content as the users who have already been on your site. 

I hope this helps clarify the differences between the two. Thank you!

Best,
Sherry127

IsI
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
IsI
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply.

I'll just give it a try and see how it turns out for the accounts.

Is it also possible to create a new ad group just for the similar audiences?

Thanks.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Isl,

Great question! You can create a new ad group for just similar audiences by making sure you only add the similar audiences list only. 

Best,

Sherry

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

Any recommendations or requirements regarding the size of remarketing lists when used for "similar audience"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What to you mean exactly?

Can you give some clarifications ?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Well,

I fearthat if the size of the list is too small, the spin-off (similar) will be garbage. So how big ought the original source to be?