AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Did Adwords change rules for negative keywords match types?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,
I used to create Adwords campaings by grouping keywords per match type and then excluding match types through negative keywords. Example:

Ad group 1 [business travel]:
Keywords: [business travel] [business travel management] [business travel agents] business travel agency] [business travel managers]
Negative keywords: no negative keywords (of course!)

Ad group 2 "business travel":
Keywords: "business travel" "business travel management" "business travel agents" "business travel agency" "business travel managers"
Negative keywords (ad group level): [business travel] [business travel management] [business travel agents] business travel agency] [business travel managers]

Ad group 3 +business +travel:
Keywords: +business +travel +business +travel +management +business +travel +agents +business +travel +agency +business +travel +managers
Negative keywords (ad group level): [business travel] [business travel management] [business travel agents] business travel agency] [business travel managers] "business travel" "business travel management" "business travel agents" "business travel agency" "business travel managers"

All this to control better the ads and the bidding strategy.. Now I seem to be unable to do that.. As soon as I add some negative keywords my ads stop showing because "A negative keyword is preventing your ad from showing"

Does anyone know why this happens? Did Adwords change rules about the negative keywords system? I can't find any info online! Any help will be very appreciated!
Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Costanza,

This message is correct, as AdWords checks whether they can display that particular keyword.
So for example in your Phrase match ad group,  "business travel" would be blocked by [business travel].

To make sure your adverts are working as you want them, I would advise going in to the ad preview and diagnosis tool and checking if your adverts appear for "private business travel" (to make sure the phrase match ad group works) and also "management travel business" (to make sure the MB ad group works).

Hopefully your advert should appear for both of these as none of the negative keywords are blocking them.

Let us know how you get on,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Metthew,

I used to create this granular structure using the above negative keyword system: it means we were allowed to do that. I always run successful campaigns as I was able to bid higher for exact match ad groups and lower for phrase and broad, always showing the ad I wanted.. It worked perfectly, it is definetely the first time I am not allowed to do it because some keywords are blocked by other match type negative keywords.

at this stage there is no point to repeat exactly the same keywords in more ad groups just differentiating them for match type.. we could just pick one match type and use that one.

I am a bit confused now Smiley Sad

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Negative keywords are matched slightly differently vs positive keywords.  The match is a little bit tighter for broad match, in my experience and i have read they do it that way to avoid over-blocking. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Constanza R,

You're doing it the right way to achieve your goal. The thing about the UI is it shows all results, like QS and whether your ad is showing for a particular keyword, based on the exact match. So, when you're in your phrase match group, keywords that are the same in negative exact match in that group will say the ad is not showing. But, if you go to your exact match group, the same keywords should now say "showing".

Look at your impression and click data to see if your ads are showing and if they are getting clicks. Then run search terms reports on the less restrictive ad groups to see what kinds of queries are triggering your ad.

When using the preview tool, enter a query that will trigger your phrase match group, and add a word or 2 to the query. That should bring up an ad from the phrase match group. Then, rearrange the words in the query. That should bring up an ad from the BMM/broad match group.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Pete. This is very helpful.. The exact match groups work well indeed.

So, do you mean that my broad match groups with same negative exact/phrase match keywords in that group work well and show my ads even if Adwords says all my keywords are blocked by other negative keywords? Is it just an "info" which doesn't really prevent my ads from showing?

Many Thanks

Costanza