AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Diagnosing a failing display campaign?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone,

To provide context, we are a B2B business that uses Adwords primarily for lead generation.

I wanted to ask the question --

I've noticed that some of our display campaigns have extremely dipped in performance, and I can't pinpoint exactly what the cause is.

I've done things from excluding poor performing placements/topics/keywords, etc -- as well as excluding adsenseformobile.com (mobile app placements)...

I've paused creatives that are underperforming, and have rotated in newer ones... The ONLY aspect that I haven't changed much is our landing page (since I don't own/control those).

What are some of your tactics when diagnosing a failing display campaign, and how do you overcome the problems you encounter. 

Anything helps here!

Best,

JP

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jean Philippe R
September 2015

Re: Diagnosing a failing display campaign?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again Jean;

I assume that, as you mentioned, you have optimized the targeting methods (e.g. Keywords... Topics... Placements...). 

Thus, the next steps I recommend are: 

• Redesigning / rework the ad-copy and  the design of the banners;
  • Working on the landing page (which is the primary component that drives the conversion)
  • And finally: splitting the banners into ad-groups, based on the banner size, and set higher bids to bigger banners.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well... It seems that you  are on the right track. Smiley Surprised

When you are saying "poor performing":  do you mean a decrease in CTR or  a decrease in conversions (i.e in lead generating.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Moshe,

Thanks for you reply. When I say failing, I primarily mean a decrease in conversions, primarily leading to overall higher CPAs.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jean Philippe R
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again Jean;

I assume that, as you mentioned, you have optimized the targeting methods (e.g. Keywords... Topics... Placements...). 

Thus, the next steps I recommend are: 

• Redesigning / rework the ad-copy and  the design of the banners;
  • Working on the landing page (which is the primary component that drives the conversion)
  • And finally: splitting the banners into ad-groups, based on the banner size, and set higher bids to bigger banners.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi JP, further to @MosheTLV 's advice, have you examined the performance of your other (non Display) Campaigns and/or data from this time last year?   If you're seeing a change in all your Accounts (it may not be as large as it is in Display) then it could be increased competition or lower demand.  If you can see a similar dip from 2014 then it may be seasonal.

How long have the Campaign(s) been running?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Moshe,

Thank you for your reply. Redesigning ads are going to be a top priority, as well as pushing to optimize the landing pages.

To your third and final point, what are the benefits of splitting banners into separate ad groups? Currently, the way display campaigns are split are into two ad groups, banners & text ads, generally with the same targeting.

If I may ask, how do you structure your display campaigns?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply. I have examined some of the other campaigns -- and I'm also looking that the blended average between this period, comparing to last year is actually the same. I'd like to think we've made major optimzations since last year, but attributing the performance to seasonality makes sense.

I'd also entertain the idea of increased competitions, as I've seen that in our generic search campaigns...

Is there a way to check if competition has increased in display? Comparable to the 'Auction Insights' report?