Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Destination URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone, 

I would like to know your thoughts about using home page as destination // final url / landing page.  I know this is not a good practice. I know that users should be taken to the precise location within the site where service or product advertised is located which will help reduce the steps it takes for a user to purchase, download, view, or sign-up for your product or service.

Are there any reasons why it should not be used as your destination url?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cecile Z
September 2016

Re: Destination URL

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Cecile,

It depends on the site. I regularly find that a specific product page gets less conversions than the home page. Often product pages don't prompt people to visit other parts of the site, or they are missing information that helps get a sale, like "free shipping".

That's why in AdWords we have "ad groups". Right from the beginning it has been expected that advertisers try a variety of ads to determine which performs best. Which is why I never assume that a certain page will convert best - when I build new accounts I test multiple landing pages, including the home page.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cecile Z
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Cecile,

It depends on the site. I regularly find that a specific product page gets less conversions than the home page. Often product pages don't prompt people to visit other parts of the site, or they are missing information that helps get a sale, like "free shipping".

That's why in AdWords we have "ad groups". Right from the beginning it has been expected that advertisers try a variety of ads to determine which performs best. Which is why I never assume that a certain page will convert best - when I build new accounts I test multiple landing pages, including the home page.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Cecile Z,

In addition to the obvious that you mentioned, a few other significant reasons are - 

- increased relevance to your keywords if used wisely

- easy to increase relevance of ad pitch to your onpage content

- lesser distractions and exit routes

- easy to track effectiveness and performance

- opportunity to do A/B testing easily

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan Jha,

Thank you for taking time to post your reply. Very good insight.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply, Rob. It makes sense.

Destination URL

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Cecile,

I agree with Ratan-Jha! Also, personally I only use the homepage for my brand campaigns (Search, RLSA, Display). As I have many Ad Groups in the many different campaigns, landing a user on the homepage is not a good practice for me.