2.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Demographics Targeting Question....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am currently running an ad that is tageting people who like war books as well as those who were interested in the vietnam war.  Seeing as how these kinds of things are generally geared towards men, what is more beneficial in the long run aside from typical keywords and such: Targeting JUST males, or targeting males AND unknown genders?

On one hand, I would think that targeting males only would narrow down my focus.  Yet, by doing that it would eliminate men in the *unknown* sector.  Yet, if I target the unknown sector as well, I'm going to get a lot of females, which may present me with a lot of uniterested parties and wasted impressions.  

So, in your opinion...what would be the best choice?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Demographics Targeting Question....

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is a very nice question;
I would take a different approach, though: I would target keywords  and topics - why would you rather focus on gender?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm already doing topics and keywords. I'm doing gender in addition to
everything else...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh, I'm already targeting via the other methods. I just want to do gender in addition to what is already being targeted.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Have you received irrelevant clicks that you assume that only men would be are interested?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Jonathan,

This decision will solely rely on the stats that you have recorded for the 'unknown' audiences in your demographic section. If this is a number you cannot work with and is something that you think will lower your irrelevant spends and eventually your spends & CPA's you should negate it.

On the other hand, if you are receiving good leads at a respectable CPA, then I would think twice about negating them. Look at the performance recorded till date for 'Unknown' and take a call.

Also, I would like to add that while your products are surely male centric there could be women out there who could be looking out for your products for their husbands, boy friends or sons. Although this could be a small number of women, you could certainly be losing out on a relevant set of audience in the end.

I would suggest you test negating the unknowns if they are costing you too much and see if your campaign performance improves or drops. You can always add them back to your campaigns, if you find negating them was not in your favor of your campaigns performance.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"