AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Demographic Targeting in AdWords - What's in it? Share your thoughts.

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi All, 

We all heard of Demographic Targeting, didn't we? Let's use this space to discuss everything about Demographic Targeting.

Here are some pointers to kick start the discussion:

What exactly is Demographic Targeting? What details qualify as demographic data? 

What settings in the AdWords account do we use to set up Demographic Targeting?

For what products/services should we use Demographic Targeting? 

Get, set, go....

Cheers,

Mini

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mini-CM
September 2015

Re: Demographic Targeting in AdWords - What's in it? Share your though

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mini,

Here i am sharing my knowledge about the topic

Demographic Targeting :

Demographic targeting is the process of deviding the target market into various demographics subsets like : Age,Gender,Interest,Life-style etc. according to the nature of your products/services.

Demographic Data ;

The main demographic options on the basis of which the marketer use to reach to their target customers/consumers are :

• Income 
  • life style 
  • interest 
  • Education 
  • Occupation 
  • House hold sizes  

Adword Demographic Targeting:

Adword providing you various demographic options in order to taget your customers more effectively and efficiently,which in terms give you a better ROI. You can set your demographic targeting at each ad group level.Adword demographic targeting feature is available for two types of campaign:

• Display Network (all features)
  • Search & Display Network (all features)                               

Here are the features:

• Keywords : You can target your customers with specific keywords that visitors usually use to search your product.For the above example i would like to use "mens outfit","mens tshirt","mens jeans" etc.
  • Placements : It refers to a website where your ad may appear.It may be an entire website or may be subsets of website or may a particuler postion of a website where your will appear. Adword giving you the opportunity to select two types of placements :

Automatic Placement :Google choose relevent websites/placement for your product based on your keywords.

Manage Placement  :You can choose the websites where you want to show your ad

• Topic : when you select this option google will show your ads on all the webpages that have trhe content relates to your topic.
  • Interest & Remarketing : You can show your ads to those customers who has the interest to your product and remarketing helps to show your ads to those customers who have already visited your site through various channel.
  •  Age & Gender : You can target the customer/consumer with the basis of their age group & gender

Products That suitable for demographic targeting :

Mens/womens outfit,jewellery products,sport accessories,resturent & hotel business, etc. etc.

Regards,

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Learning about your target demographic should come before learning about demographic targeting.  That's the best advice I can give.

Ryan.

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing, shuva and RyanHoldaway,

Mini

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Well said, but often times reverse tracking your demographics will surprise you and enable you to target them much sharper.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@Shuva Occupation? Education? Where are those targeting options within the AdWords platform?

Google thinks the word "demographic" refers to age and gender and nothing else: Age + Gender = Demo. But, marketers who know better use it in reference to many more than just those two characteristics. Today I posted about just that one issue:
http://searchcerts.com/2013/08/22/is-it-ok-misuse-the-word-demographic-as-google-does/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

THanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm not finding Occupation among the options in my display network setup.

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
This two year old thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to both see and understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!