Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Delete paused underperforming ads/kws?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

Should I be permanently deleting all of my paused ads and keywords that had been underperforming? Do paused ads and keywords have an effect on ad group QS?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Delete paused underperforming ads/kws?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Birchlore,

Great question!

I've seen this question a few times on the internet on sites such as Quora etc. I have have not personally spoken with an Adwords represenative on this, but I will be following up on this one with a call to our friends at Google.

PPC Hero on the other hand wrote a post in 2010 on a discussion one of their campaign managers had with a represenative at Google who said " The historical performance of paused or deleted ads and keywords will continue to affect your account history. However, we still recommend deleting poorly performing ads and keywords to improve Quality Score." 

I recommend you also call a represenative at adwords to get further insight on this since the post written by PPC Hero was written in 2010.

http://www.ppchero.com/when-to-pause-or-delete-ads-keywords-to-save-your-quality-scores/ - Link to PPC Hero's post.

Have a great week!

Best,

Stefan T. Martinez

Best,

Stefan Martinez
-- Not an AdWords expert, just a student eager to learn more...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Birchlore,

I could not find an official document giving complete clarity to your question.

Please go through some of the earlier discussions below, which will provide some valuable insights in to this question.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Low-QS-paused-not-deleted-bad/m-p/61506/high...

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Delete-or-pause/m-p/51736/highlight/true#M4693

Hope this helps,

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello;

Since paused ads are checked (as active ads) and approved (to take part in the auction) - , if there is a chance of reactivating them - keep them. This way, you will not have to resubmit and wait for approval.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi birchlore,

As you may have gathered, it makes no difference whether you pause or delete keywords in regards to QS and your overall account score. AdWords takes your account history into consideration when establishing QS for all of your keywords. But, it is weighted to consider more recent history over the older history. We don't know what that timeframe is. So, any keyword that is getting no impressions will stop affecting your QS at some point down the line.

There are some very good reasons to delete ads you don't intend to run again. One of those reasons is if the destination URL is no longer reachable. Since paused ads are reviewed, and unreachable destination URL would result in an ad disapproval. Too many of those can put your account into jeopardy. As Moshe suggested, if you plan on running the ad again, keep it in paused status and be sure not to delete the page it points to. Otherwise, delete it.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Pete,

As you said "There are some very good reasons to delete ads you don't intend to run again. One of those reasons is if the destination URL is no longer reachable. Since paused ads are reviewed, and unreachable destination URL would result in an ad disapproval. Too many of those can put your account into jeopardy" I have a doubt here.

We pause an ad because we don't want to run it when it is eligible/approved/live. So an ad should be approved/live when we pause it. If we don't make any changes to it (URL), will that ad again go to the ad review queue just beacause it is paused? And without changes if the once approved ads are not re-reviewed, then it will not be disapproved agian. The only problem is if we resume the ad and the URL is no longer reachable.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@info;

Pete will answer separately, but due to time zones, this will probably be when you are asleep; ...To shorten time delay:

Paused ads are reviewed. If you don't make any changes you can reactivate them instantly (as part of your campaign)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Info,

Paused and live ads are reviewed periodically, not just when they are created. One of the checks is to see if the destination URL is a reachable page. If not, your ad will be disapproved. This happened to me unintentionally as I had some old ads on pause after we reorganized our site because the destination was no longer available.

"The only problem is if we resume the ad and the URL is no longer reachable." It is also a problem if the page is unreachable while the ad is paused.

As Moshe says, activating and approved paused ad does not trigger a new review.

If I want to start a campaign on a given date, I will create the ad group, create the ads, then place them on pause well ahead of the intended start date so they can go through the approval process before the campaign is to start.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Pete,

Never thought an approved and paused ad will be reviewed again without any changes made to it. I know activating an approved paused ad does not trigger a new review. It is diffcult to understand then why the same ad is reviewed again when it is paused, without any changes made to it Smiley Happy.

Thank you for the info!

Thank you Moshe!