AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Dedicated ad group for your company name?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I see a lot of people recommending that we use our company name as a keyword because it's almost guaranteed to get a high CTR and/or QS. Am I right in thinking it's best to put this keywordin its own dedicated ad group, with an ad that effectively just promotes your company?

Or is it better to utilize this keyword's likely higher CTR/QS to try and give a boost to an existing and perhaps lower-performing ad group, even though it will be much less relevant?

Thanks.

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Dedicated ad group for your company name?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello swebber,

You are correct in suggesting that including your own company name as a keyword is a good practice, generally advertisers will create a "brand" ad group which will contain this, misspellings and alternative versions of the company name. Not only will there be advantages with regards to high CTR and QS but you also ensure that you capture the traffic who are already looking for you.

I would however not recommend introducing your company name into existing low performing ad groups. This will simply reduce the relevancy of the ad group and also potentially have a negative impact on the company name keyword performance at the same time. 

Regards,

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello  Swebber,

Trust you are doing great!

In addition to ScottyD’s perfect answer, I prefer to include brand name in adcopy as well with trademark symbols ™ & ® etc. It shows that you are authentic & attract visitor’s attention.

You can always add misspellings and other terms related to your brand name from search query.

Thanks,

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello swebber,

You are correct in suggesting that including your own company name as a keyword is a good practice, generally advertisers will create a "brand" ad group which will contain this, misspellings and alternative versions of the company name. Not only will there be advantages with regards to high CTR and QS but you also ensure that you capture the traffic who are already looking for you.

I would however not recommend introducing your company name into existing low performing ad groups. This will simply reduce the relevancy of the ad group and also potentially have a negative impact on the company name keyword performance at the same time. 

Regards,

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello  Swebber,

Trust you are doing great!

In addition to ScottyD’s perfect answer, I prefer to include brand name in adcopy as well with trademark symbols ™ & ® etc. It shows that you are authentic & attract visitor’s attention.

You can always add misspellings and other terms related to your brand name from search query.

Thanks,

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi ScottyD and NehaGupta - thanks for your input. All makes sense.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have steered away from using company name in my adwords because in all organic searches, it comes up #1.  I figure why should I pay when I was going to get a click anyway.  Thoughts?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Colinsito,

I suppose one answer is the possibility that you might not have got that organic click because a competitor's PPC ad was more prominent.

Another is that being shown twice as prominently is surely advantageous - not only are you twice as likely to be clicked, but you're also increasing your brand visibility.

A further answer is the benefits that having your company name as a keyword can do for your overall AW campaign in terms of CTR and QS, even if that's just slight.

The downside is, as you say, having to pay for a click that you might otherwise have got organically for free. I think all you can do is try to weight these things up for yourself. If your AW campaign is doing brilliantly, and/or your organic SEO is doing brilliantly, and/or you prefer to use all your budget promoting more specific products/solutions/services, and/or you feel that your company name is already 'out there' sufficiently within your particular sector that it doesn't really benefit from the added exposure - then maybe it's not worth bothering with an ad group for your company name. 

I'd be interested to hear other people's views on this too.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well, it's too funny... My best conversion rate are people typing my own brand name. I Look at how much of my monthly budget that eats up and it is quite substantial. My campaign is for a small hotel in costa rica. The only other person with my brand terms is tripadvisor going to my page. Since we r highly rated, that serves me well as well. I agree it is something you have to weigh out, but nothing looks like it is taking my traffic away, so I am going to re-allocate those funds. I will continue to monitor the situation. Cheers, Colin.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello.

I still see at least another company bidding on my client's brand name and website name. They're copying our ads, too, but that's understandable Smiley Happy.

Therefore I'm bidding on that brand and url, and am not only putting it in its own ad group, I've got a separate campaign. With its own budget, and two ad groups.

Why a separate campaign? Targeted sitelinks. And us, too, come up #1 in organic. It's just that I would not want to see another company pop in 1-3 paid, on top of my #1 organic.

That, and the fact that I'm able to put sitelinks to good use.

You can, of course, pause the campaign, and monitor the number of brand related conversions with and without it. But in my case, the campaign in question costs peanuts, and hits the target almost everytime, in such a manner that reported ROI in Analytics looks unearthly, with many hundreds of euros in return for every euro spent.

In my case (E-commerce), I would not give it up under any circumstances. In your case, test Smiley Happy.

Good luck.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Calin... Thanks for your post.  I am very interested in what I think you are saying.

I would love to bid on my competitors, but I feel that if I direct them to my site, it is a bad quality score.  What can I do to improve that and make it relevant?

Cheers, Colin.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello, Colin.

It is lacking relevance, of course, to bid on keywords unrelated to your website and try to steal visitors. Hence the high(er) price one has to pay for those tactics. It is, of course, up to you to decide if it's moral or profitable. Maybe even legal, though that's not your decision (I'm not very familiar with all the details of the policies coverign that aspect, as I'm not doing it).

But make it relevant? No. Or in any case nowhere near as relevant as the company owning that business / company.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog