AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Dean's 'taxi hire' business is looking for account optimization help from this community

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Im a newbie to adwords, I have managed to get an adwords accounts up and running. my budget is set to £10,  I have learned almost everything from this forum. Following some great advices on this forum, I grouped similar keywords in to groups, and about 4 adverts for each group. Each group contains about 20 keywords, and also customized landing page for each group.

Setting wise, I’m targeting all countries, all languages, and only search network. Also on auto bidding.

At the moment im getting about 5K impressions, with about 1% CTR,  in that 1 % TR, about 20% booking my services,

How do I improve my CTR and conversion ratio? I have messages like, low QS, not triggered by keywords, its rank is not high enough, as such, what can I do to imrove thse.

Thank you. 

5 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Guidance from the experts

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Dean,

Happy to know that you are following community & finidng the post by members Helpful Smiley Happy

I am not an expert yet trying to put some of thoughts:

1. We're only showing your ad occasionally because of your budget (this is due to my setting, so nothig to worry about this)

Because of limitation of budget you are missing out on potential traffic which can bring you even more bookings for Airport taxi services in London. Read more on Limited by budget

2. Although your ad is showing, its rank is not high enough to place it on the first page of search results

The above message appears when your Ad Rank is low. There can be many reasons for the low Ad Rank and due to which your ads is not eligible for the first page search results. Some of the reasons are poor Quality Score, first page bid issues, low CTR, irrelevancy etc. Recommended Readings:

Understanding ad position

Improve your Ad Quality

3. Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now due to a low Ad Rank. This is primarily due to a low.

First of all you need to figure out reasons of low ad rank of your keywords and based on those reasons plan a strategy to improve your ad rank. As stated above (Point 2.) Reasons of low ad rank can be low QS, Low CTR, less relevancy, many irrelevant terms in search query report. Note: Adrank is dynamic and being calculated everytime search query runs.

Recommended Reading: 

Ad Rank

Tip for success

4. Quality Score, which means that you should focus on improving the relevance of your keyword, ad, and landing page

Understanding landing page experience

Two Formulas which I would want you to take a look at:

AdRank = Max. CPC x Quality Score

AdRank is measured by multiplying the maximum cost per click bid that the advertiser is willing to pay by the Quality Score of that advertisers keyword. Ad position is then calculated by the advertiser’s AdRank. According to that advertisers ad will be positioned on highest or lowest position in Google search and content networks.

Actual CPC = (AdRank to hit /Quality Score of Advertiser) + $.01
An advertiser’s actual CPC is measured by dividing the AdRank to hit (the AdRank of the competitor below them) by their own Quality Score plus $.01. The least positioned ad will be the minimum price recommended by Google to display on the Adwords page.

Better CTR les you to Imporved quality score and thus less cost per click.

Some more Recommended Readings:

To find out the reason of having low quality score, house over mouse to speech bubble next to keyword status see what Keyword Diagnosis says.

Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce

Recipe to making the perfect Quality Score Sauce

What To Do With Keyword Quality Scores

Improve CTR:

Keyword Performence

• Keep good position and good bids for the keywords those are converting.
  • Pause keywords those are only receving impressions and are not receving any clicks. such keywords effects CTR very badly.
  • Pause Non converting high cost consming keywords or lower bids for such keywords.
  • Add new keywords from search query, opprotunities tab.
  • Test all match types.

Adcopy Performence

• Adcopy should be enticing with strong call to action and highly relevant to keywords in the adgroup & landing page. If it is possible we can mirror image of landing page in adcopy. We can add high performing keywords from adgroup as a headline but it should not look like keyword stuffing.
  • Test new adcopies and pause underperforming adcopies.
  • Use extended headline feature in adcopy. It helps in boost CTR.

Ad Extension

• Take advantage of Ad Extensions. such as Sitelink Extension. This really helps in boost ctr. You may also use call extension, location extension if it is required for your business.

Search Query

Try to keep search query strictly relevant to the keywords in adgroups by adding negative keywords. This step will improve the relevancy between keywords and search terms. Run SQR every few days and weed out all irrelevant queries and add them as a negative keywords at adgroup level and campaign level. Utimize Negative keywords match type for better results.

• Improve Keywords: Keywords relevant to the search queries - led to a improved QS.
  • Search terms receiving large number of impressions but not clicks weed out from search query and add them as Negative Keyword at Exact Match - led to a better CTR. 
  • If highly relevant search terms are receving large number of impressions but no clicks add them as Negative Keyword at Exact Match in that adgroup BUT create a seperate adgroup for those terms with bit high bids. Keep strictly relevant adcopies.
  • Search terms receiving large number of impressions but very few clicks having very less CTR and thus effects overall campaign CTR. Weed out from search query and add them as Negative Keyword at Exact Match. CTR very less then overall campaign Avg. CTR is my crietria for such queries.
  • Search terms receiving large number of impressions but very few clicks having very less CTR and thus effects overall campaign CTR. Weed out from search query and add them as Negative Keyword at Exact Match BUT create a seperate adgroup for those terms with bit high bids if they are higly relevant to your Campaign. CTR very less then overall campaign Avg. CTR is my criteria for such queries.
  • Explore new keywords ideas from Search query report and add them as a positive keyword in your campaign.

Hope it helps in someway!

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Dean, and welcome to the AdWords community, your one stop, all things AdWords knowledge shop Smiley Happy

The first thing that strikes me with your setup, which is pretty good for a start with regards to keywords grouping and landing pages, is the fact that you've really let it loose with regards to country and language targeting, while having a very low budget, at the same time.

What I'd suggest, as a minimum, or a start, if you wish, is to cut back on the languages. Your ads have all one language, right? And presumably the keywords as well. So just narrow down targeting to English alone. One language per campaign, not more. This way you can make sure that your keywords, and your ads, are relevant for that language used, or defined in Google's interface (either by default or by changing preferences) by the person performing the search.

It could be that taxi, for instance, is a word used in many languages, and a search query such as "cheap heathrow taxi" will trigger your ad for many languages (guenstiger heathrow taxi, etc.), an English ad may not look too interesting to a French user, for instance. But a french ad, stating "Heathrow taxis au bons prix, contactez nous tout de suite", might sound interesting for the guy in Lyon, searching on Google.fr.

Another thing would be: if you start low budget, don't create too many ad groups. Pick the one with the highest potential, optimize it until it starts generating revenue, then move on to the next and increase the budget. Step by step, not all at once, if the budget's low.

Also, when CTR is low, and the budget's tight, keep your match type tight as well, you cannot afford irrelevant queries triggering your ads and eating up your budget. Use the Keyword tool, find out what keywords, among those suggested, could be used by your customers, and use them as exact match keywords, and, where appropriate, phrase match and modified broad match. But it's better to start with exact, if there's enough of a search volume.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello Dean,

First of all hats off to Community. You have already got some of the great advices from the real Adwords Experts here Smiley Happy

Few things which I would like to add on here would be being into taxi hiring business, phone calls are very important for you.

In addition to the Conversion Tracking (I hope you have placed it properly on goal conversion pages, if not then kindly make a use of it to calculate real ROI), I would definitely advice you to use the Call Extensions. Since you are in a business, where people will prefer giving you a phone call from their mobiles, its must to use Call Extensions.

Another thing is that as you said you are going with low budget, try to advertise maximum with keywords having phrase and exact match types. As per the recent update, the close variants like synonyms, singulars, plurals will be included when you advertise with these match type keywords. Advantage of using them could be that you will receive most of the relevant traffic and a good conversion rate.

Analyze your search terms report and get the max out of it. The delivered match type column will guide you what query is being related to what keyword. Include negative keywords so that your budget is used up for most of the relevant traffic for a day.

One very important step which I think would be to have separate Display and Search Network Campaigns, in case you are running on both networks. Although recently lot have changed with Display Network, but still I would stick with this orthodox methodology because the way users interact on both networks is different.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Dean, 

We are happy to hear that this forum helped you learn the basics of AdWords. I'm particularly happy about the trust you built on our experts for advise.

The experts here are more than happy to help you grow and optimize your account - even without looking into your account.

What I'd like to suggest is this:

We'd highlight your business on this forum - Define what your business is, state your advertising goals, what you've done so far and what you'd want to do next. 

And, we will wait for our community friends to respond and advise.

In the past we had some businesses succeed from such a community optimization effort. 

Are you game for this?

Let me know and I'm happy to facilitate this for you.

Best,

Mini

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Dean,

Happy to know that you are following community & finidng the post by members Helpful Smiley Happy

I am not an expert yet trying to put some of thoughts:

1. We're only showing your ad occasionally because of your budget (this is due to my setting, so nothig to worry about this)

Because of limitation of budget you are missing out on potential traffic which can bring you even more bookings for Airport taxi services in London. Read more on Limited by budget

2. Although your ad is showing, its rank is not high enough to place it on the first page of search results

The above message appears when your Ad Rank is low. There can be many reasons for the low Ad Rank and due to which your ads is not eligible for the first page search results. Some of the reasons are poor Quality Score, first page bid issues, low CTR, irrelevancy etc. Recommended Readings:

Understanding ad position

Improve your Ad Quality

3. Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now due to a low Ad Rank. This is primarily due to a low.

First of all you need to figure out reasons of low ad rank of your keywords and based on those reasons plan a strategy to improve your ad rank. As stated above (Point 2.) Reasons of low ad rank can be low QS, Low CTR, less relevancy, many irrelevant terms in search query report. Note: Adrank is dynamic and being calculated everytime search query runs.

Recommended Reading: 

Ad Rank

Tip for success

4. Quality Score, which means that you should focus on improving the relevance of your keyword, ad, and landing page

Understanding landing page experience

Two Formulas which I would want you to take a look at:

AdRank = Max. CPC x Quality Score

AdRank is measured by multiplying the maximum cost per click bid that the advertiser is willing to pay by the Quality Score of that advertisers keyword. Ad position is then calculated by the advertiser’s AdRank. According to that advertisers ad will be positioned on highest or lowest position in Google search and content networks.

Actual CPC = (AdRank to hit /Quality Score of Advertiser) + $.01
An advertiser’s actual CPC is measured by dividing the AdRank to hit (the AdRank of the competitor below them) by their own Quality Score plus $.01. The least positioned ad will be the minimum price recommended by Google to display on the Adwords page.

Better CTR les you to Imporved quality score and thus less cost per click.

Some more Recommended Readings:

To find out the reason of having low quality score, house over mouse to speech bubble next to keyword status see what Keyword Diagnosis says.

Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce

Recipe to making the perfect Quality Score Sauce

What To Do With Keyword Quality Scores

Improve CTR:

Keyword Performence

• Keep good position and good bids for the keywords those are converting.
  • Pause keywords those are only receving impressions and are not receving any clicks. such keywords effects CTR very badly.
  • Pause Non converting high cost consming keywords or lower bids for such keywords.
  • Add new keywords from search query, opprotunities tab.
  • Test all match types.

Adcopy Performence

• Adcopy should be enticing with strong call to action and highly relevant to keywords in the adgroup & landing page. If it is possible we can mirror image of landing page in adcopy. We can add high performing keywords from adgroup as a headline but it should not look like keyword stuffing.
  • Test new adcopies and pause underperforming adcopies.
  • Use extended headline feature in adcopy. It helps in boost CTR.

Ad Extension

• Take advantage of Ad Extensions. such as Sitelink Extension. This really helps in boost ctr. You may also use call extension, location extension if it is required for your business.

Search Query

Try to keep search query strictly relevant to the keywords in adgroups by adding negative keywords. This step will improve the relevancy between keywords and search terms. Run SQR every few days and weed out all irrelevant queries and add them as a negative keywords at adgroup level and campaign level. Utimize Negative keywords match type for better results.

• Improve Keywords: Keywords relevant to the search queries - led to a improved QS.
  • Search terms receiving large number of impressions but not clicks weed out from search query and add them as Negative Keyword at Exact Match - led to a better CTR. 
  • If highly relevant search terms are receving large number of impressions but no clicks add them as Negative Keyword at Exact Match in that adgroup BUT create a seperate adgroup for those terms with bit high bids. Keep strictly relevant adcopies.
  • Search terms receiving large number of impressions but very few clicks having very less CTR and thus effects overall campaign CTR. Weed out from search query and add them as Negative Keyword at Exact Match. CTR very less then overall campaign Avg. CTR is my crietria for such queries.
  • Search terms receiving large number of impressions but very few clicks having very less CTR and thus effects overall campaign CTR. Weed out from search query and add them as Negative Keyword at Exact Match BUT create a seperate adgroup for those terms with bit high bids if they are higly relevant to your Campaign. CTR very less then overall campaign Avg. CTR is my criteria for such queries.
  • Explore new keywords ideas from Search query report and add them as a positive keyword in your campaign.

Hope it helps in someway!

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Dean, and welcome to the AdWords community, your one stop, all things AdWords knowledge shop Smiley Happy

The first thing that strikes me with your setup, which is pretty good for a start with regards to keywords grouping and landing pages, is the fact that you've really let it loose with regards to country and language targeting, while having a very low budget, at the same time.

What I'd suggest, as a minimum, or a start, if you wish, is to cut back on the languages. Your ads have all one language, right? And presumably the keywords as well. So just narrow down targeting to English alone. One language per campaign, not more. This way you can make sure that your keywords, and your ads, are relevant for that language used, or defined in Google's interface (either by default or by changing preferences) by the person performing the search.

It could be that taxi, for instance, is a word used in many languages, and a search query such as "cheap heathrow taxi" will trigger your ad for many languages (guenstiger heathrow taxi, etc.), an English ad may not look too interesting to a French user, for instance. But a french ad, stating "Heathrow taxis au bons prix, contactez nous tout de suite", might sound interesting for the guy in Lyon, searching on Google.fr.

Another thing would be: if you start low budget, don't create too many ad groups. Pick the one with the highest potential, optimize it until it starts generating revenue, then move on to the next and increase the budget. Step by step, not all at once, if the budget's low.

Also, when CTR is low, and the budget's tight, keep your match type tight as well, you cannot afford irrelevant queries triggering your ads and eating up your budget. Use the Keyword tool, find out what keywords, among those suggested, could be used by your customers, and use them as exact match keywords, and, where appropriate, phrase match and modified broad match. But it's better to start with exact, if there's enough of a search volume.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: language / location targeting in London

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello Dean;

I will elaborate on Calin's answer and suggest that, since your budget is tight, you would target only the countries that are more likely to bring visitors to the Olympics: I assume that most visitors would come from Europe or North America.

Since English is a global language, and as Calin already said "Taxi / Limo / Shuttle from Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton" , etc., are all common queries in all languages, I would target the main languages in the countries /regions that you target: English; French, German, Italian, Russian, Dutch,...(Keep in mind that language targeting does NOT translate neither your KWs nor your ad-copy. It allows your ad to appear for users searching (in English) for "limo at Heathrow" , using French or German google domain, (i.e. Searching on google.fr, or Google.de with English set as an additional language)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Dean,

I'll also jump in here too.

Can you elaborate a bit about how You are tracking your conversions/booking? Is there an online reservation system in place or call tracking in place?  Also, would you care to share your site and/or landing pages with us?

I saw this last night but wasn't sure what Mini's plan was.  I guess we're going to be working here. Smiley Happy

Great advice so far...great work Community!!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello Dean,

First of all hats off to Community. You have already got some of the great advices from the real Adwords Experts here Smiley Happy

Few things which I would like to add on here would be being into taxi hiring business, phone calls are very important for you.

In addition to the Conversion Tracking (I hope you have placed it properly on goal conversion pages, if not then kindly make a use of it to calculate real ROI), I would definitely advice you to use the Call Extensions. Since you are in a business, where people will prefer giving you a phone call from their mobiles, its must to use Call Extensions.

Another thing is that as you said you are going with low budget, try to advertise maximum with keywords having phrase and exact match types. As per the recent update, the close variants like synonyms, singulars, plurals will be included when you advertise with these match type keywords. Advantage of using them could be that you will receive most of the relevant traffic and a good conversion rate.

Analyze your search terms report and get the max out of it. The delivered match type column will guide you what query is being related to what keyword. Include negative keywords so that your budget is used up for most of the relevant traffic for a day.

One very important step which I think would be to have separate Display and Search Network Campaigns, in case you are running on both networks. Although recently lot have changed with Display Network, but still I would stick with this orthodox methodology because the way users interact on both networks is different.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Re: Dean's 'taxi hire' business is looking for account optimization help from this community

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 9
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dean, 

Could you please explain why did you edit your posts? This thread now makes no sense for other users. Let me know if you have concerns or questions.

Thanks,

Zee
G+

Re: Dean's 'taxi hire' business is looking for account optimization help from this community

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

hi,

Unfortunalty i had to remove the details, cose got spammed alot  had to delet well over 60+ testimonial spam postes with in one day. so asked my staff to remove the links. cose i understood there ws also spamming in here as well. 

i thought this forum is a closed one, as in spam free. thats why i pasted the links and landing pages, but to get 60 + per day is giving too much work for the admin of the site.  but looks like he removed all the posted from here.  

really sorry, i will re edit and post the qs, so its understandable to other users who can follow. but with out ay web links ( if thats ok with you )