AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Dealing with "close variant" matching and singular keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok previously you could remove the option to have close variants match to be more in control of your keywords. However, Google announces that:

"Starting in late September, we’re applying close variant keyword matching to all exact and phrase match keywords"

So i then see that it is hard to deal with singular keywords. In my search terms reports my plural exact keywords are triggering singular keywords via (close variant).

Am i correct in saying that I now have to go through and add an exact match singular negative to prevent singular keywords triggering my adds? This is a huge task and a serious error on behalf of google.

Note: I don't like singular keywords as our market sells to bulk buyers, not individuals wanting one unit.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tim G
September 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tim,

"Am i correct in saying that I now have to go through and add an exact match singular negative to prevent singular keywords triggering my adds?"

Yeah, that's correct, unfortunately for yourself. However, adding closed variants was a useful change applied by Google because it has proved to be beneficial to most advertisers 

Note that it is much easier to add those negatives via the AdWords Editor than manually if you have a large number of keywords.

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tim G
September 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tim,

"Am i correct in saying that I now have to go through and add an exact match singular negative to prevent singular keywords triggering my adds?"

Yeah, that's correct, unfortunately for yourself. However, adding closed variants was a useful change applied by Google because it has proved to be beneficial to most advertisers 

Note that it is much easier to add those negatives via the AdWords Editor than manually if you have a large number of keywords.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks you confirming that. Yes adding them is relatively easy but I need to go through manually and decide which need adding. In fact a very time consuming process and one that could cause entire campaign problems if done in a rush.

The beauty of Adwords is that it allows a lot of adjustment and puts those ahead that do more work and target well rather than just being a bid factory. Slowly these are being removed to make it more level which is not conducive to a good market.

For example when they changed broad match and then said, if you want it to work in the old way, go back and change everything to broad modifier with a "+". That was totally backwards. It should have been, use "+" if you want your board match to be broader.

Google is taking their cake and eating it. It will come back to bite them I am sure some day.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hope, it won't. However, I also do prefer scenarios when advertisers themselves have more options to choose from. Like when you had the option to remove close variants as you mentioned above. However, Google needs to go with the bulk; after all it's a corporation and not a charity.

Lakatos