Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Daily budget (not depleted)

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been running a campaign with multiple ad groups for over 1 month. Using landing pages for signups. No full website yet. My daily budget is always less than 50% depleted. My "Search Impr. share" is always above 75% and my "Search Exact match IS" is always above 95%. Still, I only get about 20 to 30 clicks a day for an average CTR of about 1.6%. 

Do these data indicate that there are really very few people searching for the keywords I'm bidding on?... or that because my ad rank is so low I'm only considered "eligible" for a small subset of the impressions regardless of the fact I'm bidding fairly high?

Interpreting "Search Impr. share" has been challenging to me because the description includes "estimated number of impressions you were eligible to receive"... I'm struggling with the "eligible" part... because I know I'm bidding really high and other data from Google shows that I get about 80% "Impression Share" (with the runner up at 52%). 

Re: Daily budget (not depleted)

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

What I would do 

1) I would research in the keyword planner to see if my keywords are supposed to have a higher search volume independent of my campaigns so : write about one of your keywords, your location and your language and I'll show you a print screen with the average values from the keyword planner.

2) I would look at the "Search Lost Impression Share (Rank)" metric because eligible is about your own situation , the eligibility for a low ad rank is not the same as the eligibility if you have a QS of 10/10. But this is just my supposition , i cannot give you a link to explain this.

3) What are your QS scores for those keywords ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the pointers.
1) Keyword planner indicates a low volume indeed...

2) Our "search lost impression share (rank) is pretty low... in some ad groups is less than 10% and on average is 25% for the whole campaign.

3) Our QS for most keywords (including the ones with more impressions and clicks) is 3 or 4/10...

Seems like I can assume low number of clicks is caused by low "search volume" and low QS due to my (poor content) landing pages?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I wouldn't let the word estimate or other terms such as eligible throw you off. As far as I'm concerned, the search impression share number is accurate. So if there were 100 searches on your keyword (note that's for your targeted area) and the share is 95%, it means your ad was delivered 95 times. Conversely, it means you missed out on just 5 impressions. Pretty good if you ask me as 95% is my target.

It's rare to get 100%. There's all kinds of reasons for missing out on some impressions, some we'll never know. Just two obvious ones are that your budget is exhausted or that your ad was going to be shown on the next page. Since the searcher never went there, your ad was not shown and you lost an impression. That may be where that estimate they talk about comes from.

If you are spending only 50% of your budget, it means you have set your budget high enough for the number of impressions (searches performed), your click rate and CPC. Nothing you do at this point will get you more impressions. Unless you use broader and more generic keywords but I don't recommend that.

If you reduce your budget to that 50% or lower level, you will find your impression share dropping. Not something I would do as you want to get as many of the impressions as you can.

You mention ad rank. That's calculated based on your QS and bid. You don't mention your QS but I always recommend trying to improve it with better ads that get better CTR. That will get you better ranking for the same bid and your CPC should go down (and spending a lesser percentage of that budget given the same number of searches).

The impressions you see should be what you'll typically get week to week. Unless it's seasonal or fad keywords. You can check the keyword tool but the numbers should be pretty much the same as you're getting. There's nothing like actual data so I would not bother too much.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I would try writing 10 or 20 ads that include those keywords in the title or the description lines. That usually worked for me to raise the QS , if the landing page has not been changed.