AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

DO negative broad-match keywords behave like exact keywords ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What is correct Way of adding Negative Keywords ?

Re: DO negative broad-match keywords behave like exact keywords ?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nilesh,

There are a number of similarities between how the match types react. But in general the negative keywords are a bit more restrictive especially the higher levels. So an exact match negative does not include variants, and a broad match negative operates more like a modified broad match.

Read this link for examples and a better understanding:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836

Besides that link there are a number of other useful articles out there. I think the last one I read was a wordstream article. I would suggest doing a google search and some reading up.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Nilesh,

If You add Broad Keyword as Negative it would Stop all traffic related to your negative keyword coming in your ad group or campaign. So i believe it would be beneficial if you add only Exact match Keyword as Negative as it would stop query on that particular keyword only and not on other terms

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

A negative simple broad , as I have learned from the forum, behaves like Clynton says , it blocks search terms containing all the words but no variations that a "positive" simple broad would match such as plurals, synonims, related terms.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Dear Nilesh B,

'As with your positive keywords, you can add negatives as broad, phrase and exact match.
While matching behavior is largely similar with your negative types, there are a few
key differences.
The biggest difference is that negative broad match won’t exclude queries that are synonyms
or close variations of the negative keyword. It will only exclude queries that include all words
within a keyword, irrespective of the order in which the words appear. '

Please read this:
http://services.google.com/fh/files/blogs/google-keywords-to-the-wise.pdf