1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

DMA Targeting

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I was wondering if anyone has targeted to the DMA region? If you have is there a benefit? 

The reason I am asking is back in April I took over an account and have been cleaning it up since. Well I noticed that one of my campaigns wasn't recieving much traffic and it is a fairly popular topic. So I started to do a little digging and saw that it was targeting Jackson, MS DMA Region. I have researched it and I am not seeing what a benefit might be other than I guess remarketing? So I switched the targeting just to see if I see an increase in traffic. I was just wondering if anyone has used this method and have they had any success with it?

Thank you! 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author LawyerCentral
September 2015

Re: DMA Targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lawyer,

We have been doing extensive Metro targeting in recent years. Reason was not that we expected to experience any benefits but because that's how we could cover a geographic region the potential clients were in. A short time ago Google retired Metro targeting and introduced DMAs instead. The difference in terms of geography is very small and I assume reason for the change was to get more aligned with current marketing trends.

Targeting Metros (or DMAs) has one definite advantage over targeting multiple cities: traffic. Based on our experience the fewer the entries in the geo-target of the campaign, the higher the traffic Google can deliver. (In scnarios where you're covering the same territory: either by one DMA or by multiple cities.) Therefore whenever it's possible you're advised to cover a larger geo-unit, the algorithms are less suited to work with mosaic type geo-coverage. (E.g. it pays to cover a US State versus all the counties in it.)

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author LawyerCentral
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lawyer,

We have been doing extensive Metro targeting in recent years. Reason was not that we expected to experience any benefits but because that's how we could cover a geographic region the potential clients were in. A short time ago Google retired Metro targeting and introduced DMAs instead. The difference in terms of geography is very small and I assume reason for the change was to get more aligned with current marketing trends.

Targeting Metros (or DMAs) has one definite advantage over targeting multiple cities: traffic. Based on our experience the fewer the entries in the geo-target of the campaign, the higher the traffic Google can deliver. (In scnarios where you're covering the same territory: either by one DMA or by multiple cities.) Therefore whenever it's possible you're advised to cover a larger geo-unit, the algorithms are less suited to work with mosaic type geo-coverage. (E.g. it pays to cover a US State versus all the counties in it.)

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lakatos,

Thank you for the explination! 

Okay I think I understand what your are saying. So it doesn't really effect the amount of people who can see my ad it is just cleaner targeting right? 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

First:            It's cleaner targeting.

Second:       Cleaner targeting is valued by Google and will result in higher traffic.

The second statement is not a logical consequence of the first one. It's something caused by how the AdWords algorithms currently work hence it may undergo changes in the future. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Have a wonderful weekend!Smiley Happy