Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Creating New Campaign with old keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks in advance

I created a new campaign and entered some keyword phrases. 

I found out that I was using some duplicate keywords that were found in previous campaigns. (using the keyword editor)

since its a new capaign I dont have any data on the new keywords. BUT

I see my quality score on the new keywords phrases are higher than the duplicate ones in the old campaingns.

My question is should I delete the old keywords from the old campaigns and start fresh with the "new" keywords that have a higher quality score. or should I delete the new keywords and cut and paste the "old" keywords in the new campaign?

Thanks for the help!

Oren

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Oren L
September 2015

Re: Creating New Campaign with old keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

Your initial QS (per keyword) is based on other advertisers QS for the same keyword (a kind of a "default" QS initially  granted). After some time, once your keyword gains impressions and there is enough statistics, the system starts to calculate a QS based on your KW performances. (Mainly and most important the CTR)

Anyway; having duplicate keywords is not a recommended practice, since they compete among themselves.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Oren L,

That really depends on what you are trying to do. If the new campaign adGroup and ad copy is more specific to those keywords, or you expect a better CTR for the new campaign, keep the keywords there and either delete or pause those keywords in the other campaigns. If not, you might be better off with the older groups, maybe not.

The key is in the conversion data. You can't really run both at the same time. One campaign will serve most if not all of the impressions. Ad rotation only works within an ad group. But you can pause the older campaigns and run the new one for a while, then compare results. At that point you can make a better informed decision.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

Your initial QS (per keyword) is based on other advertisers QS for the same keyword (a kind of a "default" QS initially  granted). After some time, once your keyword gains impressions and there is enough statistics, the system starts to calculate a QS based on your KW performances. (Mainly and most important the CTR)

Anyway; having duplicate keywords is not a recommended practice, since they compete among themselves.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Oren L,

That really depends on what you are trying to do. If the new campaign adGroup and ad copy is more specific to those keywords, or you expect a better CTR for the new campaign, keep the keywords there and either delete or pause those keywords in the other campaigns. If not, you might be better off with the older groups, maybe not.

The key is in the conversion data. You can't really run both at the same time. One campaign will serve most if not all of the impressions. Ad rotation only works within an ad group. But you can pause the older campaigns and run the new one for a while, then compare results. At that point you can make a better informed decision.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords