3.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Creating Match Type Specific Ad Groups

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I'd like to know your opinion on this, and if you use this tactic, how and why.

Thank you Smiley Happy 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Creating Match Type Specific Ad Groups

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Abbie R personally I've not seen a really good argument for doing so and my opinion is based upon the way AdWords works in terms of best performance.

We know that one key factor for good performance with AdWords is having tightly themed Ad Groups containing Keywords that are highly relevant to the Ads in that Group.  Since you cannot choose which Ad is shown for which Keyword this means all the Keywords within a Group must also be relevant to each other; in other words, a tightly themed Ad Group should only contain Keywords that are very similar to each other.

If you consider how this concept affects match type, the only real question is whether the Keywords are relevant to each other regardless of match type.  So, for example:

[red shoes] and

"red shoes"

are clearly relevant to each other and can be happily paired with the same set of Ads within the same Group.  But:

[red running shoes] and

"red shoes"

are actually quite different and shouldn't really be in the same Group anyway regardless of match type.

So, I believe that match type should be an irrelevant consideration for constructing Ad Groups.  If your Keywords are all tightly relevant to each other, they can be in the same Group - there's no clear advantage in placing them in separate Groups (in fact, there's a more clear disadvantage in that it will greatly complicate your Campaign structure).  If your Keywords are not highly relevant to each other, they should be in separate Groups anyway, so match type becomes irrelevant.

I know there's a popular idea to use separate Groups for match types, and to use negatives to force AdWords to match against their normal algorithmic choice but I've yet to see a compelling argument for doing this and as far as I can tell it's most likely outcome is increased costs with no performance benefit.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you for such an informative answer Jon! I totally agree with what you're saying.

In the same vein, I once had an advertiser tell me he was structuring his campaigns in themes, and creating ad groups with singular keywords in them. He told me his costs had literally been cut but over 30% in only a few weeks.

http://wehavezeal.com/blog/performance-marketing/2014/11/27/one-keyword-ad-groups

This article seems to share a similar story. It's a separate topic but when it comes to account structure so many people have different opinions and strategies. Technically speaking this seems the most effective way to do things.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Abbie R I have lots of clients with single-word Ad Groups, as you say, when you look at it from a relevance point of view, having only one Keyword is the ultimate relevant Group.

Having said that, usually there are one or two additional variations that make sense and which still keep the Group absolutely relevant, but if there's no need, there's absolutely no problem with just having a single Keyword.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits