Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Creating Hybrid Campaigns

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

While optimizing Display campaigns for some of my accounts, I tried using Hybrid Campaigns to get better results which I got for some of the accounts. Hybrid Campaign means mixing 2 type of Display Targeting Methods. So now I'm a bit confused how all these works, so request you to help me with following types of targeting:

1. Keywords + Placements
  2. Keywords + Topics
  3. Keywords + Interests
  4. Keywords + Remarketing List
  5. Topics + Placements
  6. Topics + Interests
  7. Topics + Remarketing List
  8. Interests + Remarketing List
  9. Placements + Interests
  10. Placements + Remarketing List

Please correct/add if I have missed something.

Confusion is that if I pick any of the above targeting options how will they work, means do they work in AND or OR conditions.

Also, which targeting method bidding will be applied for each of the above target settings.

Thanks,

Anurag Saxena

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Creating Hybrid Campaigns

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Anurag,

Yes, You can set the hybrid targeting on GDN by any one of the criteria.

But If you are talking about how AND and OR conditions apply, AdWords allow two bidding option for Hybrid targeting :-"Target and Bid" Option and "Bid Only".
Please read more about the target and Bid and Bid only here:-
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/What-is-exactly-Bid-Only-and-Targ...

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Rakesh,

Target and Bid and Bid Only are fine.

But my main question is how the targeting will work, let me take an example:

If in one of my adgroup I'm using Placements and Topics both, how or where will my ad appear. Will it appear on the placements that I have selected if Topic matches on those placements (AND Condition) or it will target both Placements and Topics both separately to show my ads (OR Condition).

Thanks,
Anurag

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anurag Saxena
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Anurag

As suggested by Rakesh, you can use any of the bidding option. "Target and Bid" is AND condition where your ad will be shown only when all the targeting methods are fulfilled and "Bid Only" is OR condition where any of the targeting method is eligible to show your ad.

What bid is used while using AND & OR condition, please go through the link below:-
#https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en

Abhishek

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

A small addition to the answer by Abhishek. For interests and Remarketing the OR condition applies (I know - this is very confusing,,.. Smiley Surprised )

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi MosheTLV,

Why is this for only Interests and Remarketing?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Moshe for the correction.

@Anurag- Reason for interest and re-marketing as OR condition is both of them are targeted in a single targeted method, means they don't have separate bidding option. The bidding which you use will be applied to both of them. So if any of the case matches your ad will be shown.

Look at the snapshot below.

img1.JPG

I hope this helps you to understand the reason for this.

Abhishek

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Rakesh, Abhishek, MosheTLV.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Anurag,

Though creating hybrid campaigns may be a good idea for some lead based campaigns but universally we can not apply.

In branding campaigns you need maximum reach, maximum audience and in case max unique audience hybrid campaign may restrict the targeting.

For example: If am running a branding campaign and created a 'Contextual+Topic' themed hybrid campaign than my targeting will be restricted among users visiting topic I have selected where content is relevant with the keywords I have selected in the campaign.

Correct if I am wrong.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Gopi,

I agree for every campaign Hybrid campaigns are not good. But, if you want to reach highly targeted users for any of your campaigns these are the options around which you can play in Google Adwords.

Thanks,
Anurag