3.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Created a PPC-only site and qual score instantly dropped to 4/10

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For the past month I used to do PPC on the same site I have for SEO traffic.

Now I decided to separate PPC from SEO traffic to be able to accurately measure conversions and sales. (when traffic was mixed it was extremely difficult to separate the two types of conversions [adwords/analytics conversion tracking was not good enough])

So, what I did was I created a replica of the initial site and put it as 'noindex' so it does not get indexed in Google.

This new site replica was meant for ppc only. It's a 100% identical copy of the main site.

So around 24 hours after I changed everything in adwords my quality score drops from like 8/10-9/10 avg. to 4/10 avg. and in every single case with "Landing page experience: Below average".

Why is landing page experience suddenly below average, considering that this is exactly the same site as before, same content etc. ? This doesn't seem to be making sense.

Update: 

I re-created the same campaign again but now created the new adds directly with the new URL. I thought that if I do it from scratch it might not tank it.

Unfortunately it did not solve the problem. Quality scores are back at 4/10 even for the new campaign, all caused due to "Landing page experience: Below average".

At this point I only have two potential explanations for it:

1. The whole site is noindexed. - Adwords might rank it low because it thinks it's not a real site.

2. The whole site is a copy of another site. - Adwords might believe it's a malicious copy of another site by a third party and as such it might "penalize" it.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Created a PPC-only site and qual score instantly dropped to 4/10

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @JohnA44;

A few points to remember;

SEO and AdWords are two separate systems, unrelated. So if you QS fell dramatically the sole issue is your campaign performance.'

Second: duplicating  content without adding added value to the  user -  is a violation - but in that case, the site should have been suspended,

What I suspect happened, is that regardless of "separating"  the two  sites (by mirroring) the QS dropped due to poor performances of the keywords in the initial campaign setting.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"Second: duplicating content without adding added value to the user - is a violation - but in that case, the site should have been suspended."

In other words, if I have a site that receives a lot of organic Google traffic I am not allowed to create a new site that is the same as the first site (but disallow it from showing up in organic listings) and use it just for PPC purposes?

"What I suspect happened, is that regardless of "separating" the two sites (by mirroring) the QS dropped due to poor performances of the keywords in the initial campaign setting."

Quite a coincidence that this happens precisely straight away after I add the new site as destination URL, after almost 2 months straight of very good performance (high CTR and high QS)

Also, Ad relevance and Expected CTR are both either "Above average" or "Average" but Landing page experience suddenly dropped to "Below average in absolutely every single case.

Important: In case of some campaigns that still use the original site as Destination URL nothing has changed. QS is still very high and Landing page experience continues to be "Above average". This makes me believe that this is cased exclusively by adding the new site as Destination URL.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@JohnA44;

Quoting the exact language of the Policy;

Low value content:

Content that is replicated from another source without adding value in the form of original content or additional functionality

• Examples: Mirroring, framing, or scraping content from another source

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Indeed. I guess that's the explanation then.

Quite bad though. I own both sites and the PPC site is blocked from organic listings.

This would have made tracking so much easier. Too bad, too bad.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Just to throw another question into the ring - why are you having trouble separating the PPC traffic form the rest? This is easy to do within Google Analytics and, provided you have your accounts correctly linked, is a part of the standard reporting set up...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's a site that functions on the affiliate marketing model.

The most you can do is set up conversion tracking of clicks on affiliate links.

However, what's not possible is to accurately track the sales, which take place on the third party merchant's site.

So, for example, you can see the following:
- 100 conversions (click on an affiliate link) from organic traffic
- 20 conversions from PPC traffic

40 sales registered on the platform of the affiliate backend of the third party merchant.

^ You basically only know the number of clicks on the affiliate links from PPC but you do not know how much of the total actual sales from the 40 were from PPC or organic. Maybe PPC was 0 and you waste money despite the clicks.

On the other hand, if you have two sites, then you can implement different affiliate links on them and as such in the affiliate platform of the merchant you will be able to clearly see what site sent the sale.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Aaaah, gotcha...

Can you look at tagging the source to the link as part of a tracking param? Then get that back in your reports from the affiliate site?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi JohnA44,

try to prevent only Googlebot crawl your site, but not Google AdsBot (https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/1061943?hl=en) in your robot.txt

But it will not help you to overcome the low value content abuse of the ad network pointed out by @MosheTLV.
Still, there could be a solution for your problem using Analytics mentioned by @stickleback.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for all the comments.

I have one more question:

Can I "duplicate" content on the same domain? - i.e. mirror a page with the same content, block Googlebot and use the page for ppc.

Example:

www.site.com/page/ <-- regular page
www.site.com/lp/page <--- same page but only for adwords.

Is this ok to do or will it also have low value content issue?