AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Could you guys help me with with some keyword suggestions/general tips?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hopefully, this is in the right category. I am a German>English translator. I translate many CVs as well as contracts, web sites, etc. (Most of my ads are in German with German keywords and targeted to Germany, Switzerland and Austria, but I'm writing in English to hopefully reach the most people.) I've tried different keywords which seem to get some results like
+CV +translation +German +English
I do get the occasional job and the prices are relatively low, but I get so few clicks that it's not particularly helpful. Unfortunately, the keywords which are apparently supposed to do better like
[translation agency]
seem to be extremely, extremely expensive. Oftentimes, they don't seem to even convert that well as they are too general and the competition is also very high.
Curiously, I have tried keywords like
+German +English +translation
which get a lot of impressions, a lot of clicks, and the CTR is outstanding. However, they don't seem to convert at all. (Apparently, because the people searching like this are probably just looking for free online translation dictionaries to look up individual terms and not a paid human translation service. Very confused in that, as I said, the CTR is super. Don't know why they are clicking if they aren't the "right customer". Urgently wish I could get them to convert). I wonder if any of you ought there could give me some suggestions to get better results, to drive down costs (always a big problem), etc. One real problem with translation is that many longtails get so few clicks that they end up in the purgatory of "Low Search Volume".

Thanks a lot.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

+german +english +translation is a very broad keyword, so it is going to match to a lot of different search terms.  I would expect it's performance to be less than ideal, and probably not too consistent.  I would use that to "discover" good phrase and exact match keywords, by monitoring what it matches to in the search term stream. 

fyi in keywords, everything is treated by Google as lower case; there is no significance to using upper case.  Keywords tend to be easier to work with when entered as all lower case.

"Low search volume" flagged keywords can be OK.  Just watch to see, often times they become your "long tail winners".  I don't remove most of them, but it depends upon the market.

Sounds like you are operating in a business sector where clicks are intrinsically expensive.  Generally this happens because the clicks are valuable to competitors. However, they do not necessarily have to be direct competitors, or businesses that are operating with the same business model that you are. 

There is also a phenomena I call "keyword overlap" between different types of businesses, or businesses operating in different markets.  Sometimes demand for a keyword comes from more than one type of business, driving up click prices.  So it makes it hard to build a profitable AdWords campaign. 

As far as recommending keyword research tools, it is "bad form" and discourage to directly recommend 3rd party tools in this Google-sponsored technical support venue.  Which really makes sense, because it would quickly turn it into a spammy/referral link farm. 

However, Google offers an excellent keyword planner tool.  And you can Google for "keyword research tool" to find a lot of popular services; some are free and some paid.

hth!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there,

You situation is not unusual - a niche product with few relevant searches. 

Try 

+CV +translation
+CV +translate

and add negatives for the languages you don't cover. That way you will show for searches like "who can translate my cv" or "cv translation service"

Make your ad very clear, in the headline, that you do German>English CV Translations. 

You've discovered that high CPC keywords cost that much because they convert well for other advertisers, but if you only suit a fraction of the people making that search, you won't get a good return.

And you have also discovered that if CPC is really low, if lots of search volume, it is because that keyword doesn't convert well.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks. So do you think that I should keep "low search volume words" out there? Google Adwords' customer service has even told me they won't be shown. Of course, supposedly if they get more popular (not so likely), they would presumably be shown.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

The Google reps always say that to me, but I have observed them work well in many campaigns.  They may be wrong about that one.  And it probably varies by business sector. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your reply. I thought maybe I could save money by bidding on keywords which were still relevant, but had fewer clicks and lower prices (for example: [translation service] ) or bidding during "off-times", but it seemed like I still got very few clicks. There is one relevant translation-related keyword in the Keyword Planner that gets many, many clicks (translation agency (übersetzungsbüro in German)) which gets an estimated 4400 clicks per month in Germany, Switzerland and Austria-almost as many as all other relevant keywords combined so it would seem to make sense to try to use it if possible-of course, it requires a "pretty penny". I tried to be clever and choose longer, more specific keywords like [translation agency prices] or [translation agency German English] to try to get very targeted clicks and lower prices, but it still seems Google Adwords wouldn't show it if I didn't bid almost as high as for [translation agency] by itself.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks, guys. Since I translate so many CVs, I was trying to find people looking for jobs (my ideal target client). I had translated many CVs on XING for XING members (it's sort of like a German-language LinkedIn if you aren't familiar with it) so I tried to use keywords like

+CV +translation +XING

or 

+CV +translation +Stepstone

+CV +translation +job +portal

etc., but it didn't seem to work at all. Google Adwords gives it a very low relevance rating and I get almost no impressions or clicks. Somehow, I would think with a few modifications, this might really work, but not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

One problem, too, Rob, is that if I use

+CV +translation

then I may be finding people who actually just want a translation of the word "CV"

or the keyword

+website +translation 

who just want a translation of the word "website"

etc.

I don't know if there is some negative keyword I could use to eliminate this problem?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

It could be that the words you are making mandatory (to appear in the search string) along with +cv +translation are not being entered very often as search term, in your targeted region. 

I would monitor your search term stream to see for a while what matches to:

+cv +translation

Then you will know what is being used.  There may be other words used with +cv +translation which you will discover. 

And note, upper case has no meaning in the keyword realm. You can use them if you want to, but everything is lower case to Google.

hth