AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Could "over-specific" optimization, be a bad thing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello. 

My question is: Could "over optimizing" and "too much" filtering,  cause me lose business?

Background:

I want to launch campaign for an extermination business that serves all NYC (queens, brooklyn, bronx, and queens) and treat all common house hold pests(bed bugs, mice, cockroaches, etc)

I try to launch my campaign to target and serve very specific audience. 

for example:

1 campaign to traget people who search for  bed bugs exterminator  in brooklyn,

1 campaign to traget people who search for mice exterminator  in brooklyn, etc

than separate campaign to traget people who search for bed bugs exterminator  in queens

and campaign to traget people who want to exterminate mice  exterminator  in queens,etc

I set each campaign to to target specific geo-area (for example: I set Brooklyn as geo-target area  for "Bed bugs exterminator in brooklyn" campaign.)

I set keywords match type to " phrase match" and " broad modifier" match,

The goal is to optimize and target my audience better.

Could this somehow harm me in anyway?

Thank you very much for your help

Ari.

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2016

Re: Could "over-specific" optimization, be a bad thing?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Ari,

The focus you describe seems reasonable. However, your concern of having targeting that is too narrow is a valid one.

One way around this is to create a separate, general campaign and to use more general, broad match keywords. As you gather clicks, you can analyze the search terms report to get more Ad Group ideas, and to filter out purely irrelevant clicks by adding appropriate negative keywords. You could make it a much smaller portion of your overall budget, and just have it there specifically to address potentially being too focused.

You would just have to keep an eye out on the broad campaign to make sure it's not taking away from clicks form your focused campaigns, as the goal of the broad ones is really just to help you get more ad group ideas and capture searches you otherwise might not have.

Hope this helps.
Alex

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Ari,

You can proceed with any of the 2 approaches:

• Target different services with separate campaigns
  • Target different locations with separate campaigns.

If you will target different services with separate campaigns that your campaigns will be:

campaign1: bed bugs

target locations: queens, brooklyn, bronx

Campaign2: mice

Campaign3: cockroaches

If you will target location wise then your campaigns will be like:

campaign: queens( target location)

adgroup1: bed bugs

adgroup2: mice

adgroup3: cockroaches

Similarly create separate campaign for different locations.

I recommend to use the 2nd approach where you can use separate budget for each location and analyse the best location for you.

• Use a combination of modified broad match and phrase match keywords.
  • Use the advanced location option settings as shown in the screenshot to restrict the users from other locations than the targeted locations. 

location adv_censored.jpg

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Bug,

I am just commenting on laser fine geographical targeting. The test I am referring to actually was carried out years ago, with a deep pocket client. (Around $50k/month, in that period of time.)

Basically we intended to target the entire US, however, decided to launch a test to get to know whether or not a mosaic of tiny geo-targets performs better than the large one. We went as fine as we could with using API for the creation of geo-targets and ad copies so that they matched each other. Actually the finer we went the more the combined traffic decreased, leaving us with a feeling that it would perhaps completely disappear at the zip code level. That's of course not true, however, the loss in traffic might be tremendous. (While the ad copy may be more specific, e.g. addressed to residents of a particular location.)

Best,
Lakatos

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
I disagree with the assumption that you have to "launch" an AdWords campaign. You can create, pause, remove all the campaigns you want to, whenever you want to, for whatever reason you want to. Start small, with a limited budget, and see what happens.

Do you have analytics tracking in place, and goals/conversions setup, with an assigned value per goal/conversion? That's what takes the effort in the beginning. Once that's setup then you can actually know whether or not the advertising is "working".

'Exterminator' may be the most valuable keyword/search term in your target market. Those multi-term keywords don't matter if 'exterminator' is the actual search term that triggered the impressions attributed to every one of those broad/phrase keywords. Once you try to add them as exact terms, you may find that Google won't show ads for that exact match keyword because the search volume for that actual search query is too low.

Don't think, put the pieces in place so you can know. Smiley Happy

Tom