3.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Cost per conversion (Goal)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a situation where many people search consists of only two words. The two (key)words are so broad that our product does not answer the majority of queries (so high bounce rate). The same two (key)words however are also one of our best converters (goal). The outcome is a very expensive cost of conversion (goal) .

Any ideas to reduce this waste

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Cost per conversion (Goal)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
The two most obvious things to start with are a) negative keywords - add as many as you can that relate to the unwanted keyword combo - and b) ad copy - make sure your ad copy makes it very clear which usage your are offering a solution for. This will reduce your CTR but should help with the CPA.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Completely agree with @stickleback here. Negatives and Ad Copies are the two important things I would work most with in this case. However, before getting to work with these two, the first place to start and analyse thoroughly would be - Search Terms Report.

Which search phrases are converting the most and which are simply getting more clicks but no conversions. If you feel that your offerings are not directly relevant to any specific search phrases, get ahead to exclude them. Do not be lured much by the higher CTR they are getting. Obviously, it's just about higher CTR, they should convert as well, and that too keeping the ROI positive. 

Work with your ad copies to make them as relevant as possible to your offerings. It may lower the CTR, but it's justified to me as long as it is serving the ultimate advertising more efficiently. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hmm Ratan, I understand where you are coming from in terms of general KWs. However if the 'good' search phase and the 'bad' search phase are the same (just) two words there is no differentiator. Stickleback's comment about ad content looks increasingly like the only option.