AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Cost per click much higher than predicted in keyword planner

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am selling real estate in a small town in Thailand (all in thai language) where the keyword planner suggests very low costs  -- a few cents US -- for keywords related to my location. But in my campaigns the CPC is consistently higher by a factor of 5 or 10, often with no competing ads at all showing.  How come? My quality scores are 5 to 7, clickthrough rates 1 to 4 percent. Should I reach for telephone support on this question?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Re: Cost per click much higher than predicted in keyword planner

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jack, there is no need to panic on this one. The keyword cost is just a broad estimate and cannot be taken as a true indication of cost. I like to see it as a best case scenario estimate. Suggest removing the 5/10 quality scores as they will come at a high cost. If your quality scores were 9/10 or 10/10 then you may indeed see costs closer to the estimate amount.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jack, there is no need to panic on this one. The keyword cost is just a broad estimate and cannot be taken as a true indication of cost. I like to see it as a best case scenario estimate. Suggest removing the 5/10 quality scores as they will come at a high cost. If your quality scores were 9/10 or 10/10 then you may indeed see costs closer to the estimate amount.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Bryan, this is most supportive. If I could find someone to help me on this quality score business it would be great, unfortunately I have to work entirely in Thai, a language I know poorly. But I will work on it. I find it a little annoying that the scenario by Keywords planner is so vastly different than my actual costs, by a factor of 10 in some cases.