Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Cost per click increase

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Everyone, 

In September my cost per click increased for a number of keywords. 

Please could you explain why this might have been? 

Thanks, 

David

Cost per click increase

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @david j,

There are many reasons why this can happen. One being that the keywords have become more popular so there is more of a competition for a position on the first page. Also, check your Quality Score. If your quality score has dropped, it might cost more to get those keywords to show. To get a higher Quality score, try to incorporate the keyword into the ad, include ad extensions, and make sure your landing page is attractive to viewers and includes the information they are searching for.

Example: If you own a Bakery and the keyword is, 'Apple pies' and the landing page goes to, 'Blueberry pies' or 'all sweets' then the viewer may loose interest and go to another site that has exactly what they are looking for. 

Again, there are many reasons why this happens and it's hard to give you a definite answer for your situation without going into further detail but I hope the above is helpful!

Jillian

Cost per click increase

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

One of many reason can be a new advertiser whose max cpc might be higer than your previous next competitor. Other issue can be any changes in account that affected your quality score . So review your change history .

Cost per click increase

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

In addition to the reasons mentioned, many keywords have a seasonal pattern... take a look at Google trends for your keywords. Many markets will heat up going into the Christmas retail season.