Guide Me
star_border

Cost of keyword in two different accounts

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I run two accounts in the same industry and they both include the same keyword but I am paying much more in one than another.

Quality score is 8/10 for both accounts and under the status bubble all QS factors are the same. My bids are 35% higher in one account but the other account is paying less for the clicks and in a slightly higher position. Any ideas why this would be? could it be 'account' quality score (the account with the lower click cost performs better overall with higher conversion rates)

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Cost of keyword in two different accounts

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Matt, how are things?

I have a few things to leave here that might help you out

Matt L wrote:

Any ideas why this would be? could it be 'account' quality score (the account with the lower click cost performs better overall with higher conversion rates)

I'm going to begin with a very important statement that says: "There is no such thing as ad group-level, campaign-level or account-level Quality Score".

This was a doubt that we, advertisers, had a few years back when there was no word from Google on this, but now this very phrase I quoted is stated on this Quality Score White Paper right here: http://services.google.com/fh/files/misc/settling-the-quality-score-whitepaper-final.pdf

This is very important, because if you see any kind of "account quality score" out there, it's just an average of your keyword quality score, and since keyword quality score is already an average, we are talking about "an average of an average", so watch out for that.

Matt L wrote:

I run two accounts in the same industry and they both include the same keyword but I am paying much more in one than another.

Quality score is 8/10 for both accounts and under the status bubble all QS factors are the same. My bids are 35% higher in one account but the other account is paying less for the clicks and in a slightly higher position. 

Analyzing the same keyword on different accounts can be misleading, specially if they have similar indicators as you mentioned such as Quality Score and Relevancy Status (the bubble status). That's because as I mentioned, the Quality Score you're seeing there is just an average and your QS is recalculated on every auction you get in, even if you ad does not appear. So even though your keywords have an average QS of 8, probably during the auctions (that we don't have access to) they have a gap or fluctuation between them. 

Also, a few things that we would need to understand to try and discover:

• The same keyword for different account, but are the domains the same? or is it for different domains?
  • Average position, bids, ads are similar? There're numbers of factors besides QS and bids that may impact on this
  • About the bubble indicators, although they seem the same, that's also an average indicador, it means that you're probably within the average line, but when Google analyse their individual numbers and status, they might be different between them
  • They run within the same hour frame? Do they have any kind automation like increase/decrease on bid?
  • The ads are running with the same specs such as characters limits and extensions?
  • Match types and negative keywords between those two are the same?
  • Does any account have one thing that the other does not, like RLSA?

Those are some of things that you need to analyse to try and understand this different behavior, and keep in mind there're many others.

Matt L wrote:

I run two accounts in the same industry and they both include the same keyword 

I'd love to hear more details on the need of this if it's something you can share with us.

Hope this helps.

_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Because they are different accounts, for different businesses, the ad copy will be different, the extensions will be worded different, and the CTR will be different.

Even if both have, say, "above average CTR", the actual CTR could be quite different. And if they both have a QS of 8, one could actually be 7.6 and the other 8.4.

I'm guessing the keyword with the lower bid has a higher historical CTR...

Re: Cost of keyword in two different accounts

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi Matt L, 

One reason i think that could explain the difference in CPC is that the auction is different every time and the price is calculated all the time. so sadly one account turns up to be more expensive. 

regards, 

Zaby

Adwords expert 

My Site

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

If you have two accounts in the same industry, using the same keywords, that in and of itself could be a much larger problem. If they are the same company, you could be in violation of the double serving policy. If not, then that could be a conflict of interest between clients. Assuming neither of those concerns are at play, then there are a number of differences between the two accounts/sites/businesses. All of those differences (Location, competition, etc., etc.) go into the adrank equation in some way. 

Tom