star_border

Cost of and number of clicks increasing

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
How can I explain cost of and number of clicks increasing
 Capture.PNG
Whats been going on / possible explanations
  • Site was down for a day or two and has now come up with Prestashop upselling module installed and configured
  • New sitemap submitted
  • Old items deleted or replaced with items using combinations
  • New design background
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Cost of and number of clicks increasing

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Well, it looks to me as though your camapaign is getting more clicks--users who see the ads are finding them more attractive. Some of those clicks, it stands to reason, are going to be from more highly desirable traffic--busier time of day, high-converting time of day, high-competition time of day, etc.--and those clicks are going to be more expensive.

Can you be more specific about what the problem is?  If the clicks are too expensive, you can lower your bid caps. If there are more clicks than you can afford, mine your search query reports to find searches you can block via negative keywords.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi markjl,

It's not very likely your site redesign/enhancment had any substantial effect on the number of clicks or the cost.

It could be changes in a competitor's campaign driving up your cost. Has your average position changed, also?

Just a thought.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Pretty sure the bounce rate and number of visits pattern is related but not sure how to explain.

bounce rate.PNG

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Usually, you do want more clicks.

If your CTR is relatively the same, then there's more searches for the product. Could be a blip (compare this week to week) or normal for the business. For example, I manage campaigns for different pest control services in different cities. With warmer weather, there's more searches starting this time of year for certain kinds of pests.

You don't mention anything about the campaign but changes there can affect the number of searches or CTR. Did you make changes to keywords, ads, settings, bids?

Has the average position gone up?

Uncontrollable factors are your competitors. There can be more or less of them. They also try to improve things with new keywords, ads, different campaign settings. bids and budgets. Any can have an impact on you. This is the most likely reason, especially if your cost is increasing.

So it's unlikely this has anything to do with the site being down. I also can't see the images you posted so I can't comment on them and they may offer a clue.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I had forgotten to filter out my new ip (since moving) and that of a tech on Analytics

That would explain some of the bounce rate