Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Correct way of using Remarketing

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All, I have been running separate Search & Display campaigns for one of my client (they provide 1 day corporate workshops) for last 2 months. Now i want to use Re-marketing to target people who visited our website but didn't register. I have a few questions:-

For RLSA:- I of-course have my keywords as main targeting, so Is using RLSA as "Bid Only" correct to use ? This would mean my search ads would show up to people who search for my target keywords & seperately to people in the marketing lists separately. I think i dont have to use "Target & Bid" here as i dont want to narrow my targeting by only showing my ads to people whoe search terms match my keywords as well as are part of my remarketing list. Am i right ?

For Display:- Should i create separate ad groups and use Re-marketing lists as targeting for them or do you recommend using re-marketing lists as additional layers of targeting, like "keywords + Remarketing", "Affinity Audience + remarketing" etc. I have as of now gone ahead with new ad groups with Remarketing as the only targeting option.

Any info is very much appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Correct way of using Remarketing

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello - If you add the remarketing list to the existing search campaign, you would use "bid only". However, if you created a new campaign with the remarketing list and only wanted that campaign to target the users in the remarketing list, you would select "target and bid". Some marketers like to set up separate campaigns to make reporting and optimizations easier. So, generally speaking, existing campaign - bid only; new campaign - target and bid.

I would stick with the targeting as you have it now - just the remarketing list.

Re: Correct way of using Remarketing

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

For RLSA:- I of-course have my keywords as main targeting, so Is using RLSA as "Bid Only" correct to use ? This would mean my search ads would show up to people who search for my target keywords & seperately to people in the marketing lists separately. I think i dont have to use "Target & Bid" here as i dont want to narrow my targeting by only showing my ads to people whoe search terms match my keywords as well as are part of my remarketing list. Am i right ?

You can use either of the two-way,

you can create the same campaign and add the remarketing list and use the Bid Only.

Or you can create the different campaigns for Remarketing list and use the Target and Bid for better reporting purpose and budget control, as @Ben J, has already explained. But If you want to give some offers and want to show the different ads messaging, you should create a sperate campaign for RLSA and use the Target and Bid.

For Display:- Should i create separate ad groups and use Re-marketing lists as targeting for them or do you recommend using re-marketing lists as additional layers of targeting, like "keywords + Remarketing", "Affinity Audience + remarketing" etc. I have as of now gone ahead with new ad groups with Remarketing as the only targeting option.

I'd not recommend you to add different targeting method with the Remarketing campaign. Because, you are already chasing the users, who have already visited your website. But to improve the performance in terms of CTR and Conversion, I would suggest you use the frequency cap and placement exclusion time to time.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’