Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Copied content on website affecting QS?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone

I've just set up a campaign for a client in the IT support industry - I know this is a difficult industry for AdWords but they are a perfectly legitimate, reputable company based in Cape Town. The campaign has been running for a couple of weeks and their Quality Scores are terrible - 1/10 in many instances, 3/10 if I'm lucky for the majority of keywords, regardless of long or short tail. And before you ask, yes, I adhered to all the usual best practices when creating a campaign - solid keyword research, good campaign structure, tightly themed adgroups, relevant ads/landing pages etc. etc. so I was scratching my head as to why the QS's were SO poor.

Then I thought to do a quick check on the website content and discovered that approximately 80% of the copy was directly copied from various other websites - and I mean word for word in many instances. I asked them about this and it was not done with any malicious intent, they just had no idea that it was the wrong thing to do.....

Anyway, I'm looking at getting the copy re-written and added to, to make it 'unique and original' but in the meant time I would appreciate some opinion as to wether this would, in fact, have accounted for the the terrible QS's?

Also, with such a difficult industry (for AdWords) and now with a 'black mark' against them, is it realistic to expect the campaign to turn around any time soon, even with fresh content? Is there anything I can do to help the process? Would it be over dramatic to suggest that they get a new domain name and start again?

I would appreciate anyones advice on this, or outcomes if anyone else has had the same issues. 

Many thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Copied content on website affecting QS?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Moonlight what do you see for the individual elements of Quality Score when you hover over the speech bubble next to a Keyword's status?  That might give you a clue.

How many clicks/impressions have the Keywords gathered?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jon - thank you for your reply.

Taking [it companies in cape town] as an example (QS1/10), everything is 'below average' - but I assume with a QS of 1/10 it wouldnt be anything else! Impressions for that keyword are 444 with a CTR of 5.86% (26 clicks). Across the board, I have 14k impressions with 400 clicks (CTR 2.84%). I know thats not a lot, but I've never experienced such a rapid and dramatic drop in QS across the board with a new campaign, which was what was leading me to think that it is the website.....?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

>>"I've just set up a campaign for a client in the IT support industry"

I think the issue is with the business model.

Can you share the website URL.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Moonlight,

Duplicate content scraped from other sites is definitely a problem, for both paid and organic search. But given a QS of 1/10, that's not your only problem. Have you looked at the competitive metrics for your campaign. What's your lost share due to rank? Due to budget?

And, I feel compelled to comment, what legitimate, reputable company in IT does not know duplicate content from another web site is a problem?

Are you using all available and appropriate extensions? That will affect your QS as well.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

MosheTLV - I was worried someone might say that....

The website is http://www.compusup.com/

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

PeteBardo - Lost IS due to budget is under 9%. Lost IS due to rank is 33%. Sitelink, location and call extensions all used - the only other one I could use and have not done so yet, is callout extensions.

And yes, I agree, they certainly should know that copying content from another website is unacceptable on many levels

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Been on holiday and just got back to reviewing this issue - did you have any further thoughts on this and are you able to elaborate on your comment 'I think the issue is with the business model'.....?

Many thanks in advance

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

MosheTLV - I see that here -https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/All-quality-scores-of-my-keywords... - you stated that if 'Google's crawlers "found", in the past, this domain to include low quality content, and categorized it as a poor quality site. If that happened, No matter how much efforts you put to improve your QS - it would not make a change. The only solution would be to change your domain name.' Do you think this might apply in my case? I might add that a few keywords do have QS's of 5/10.....

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

There's no indication that just by having copied content your QS should be low, though it would be a nice experiment, however, i would assume that landing page quality and user behavior ain't that good either, which may be the case.