AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Convertions vs volume

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello to everyone,

this is my first post to this forum.

I'm managing an account for a company dedicated to holiday apartment rentals.

It's a very niche market and we have huge competitors (such as booking.com and airbnb).

When I inherited this account it had huge leaks due to the way they mesured convertions.

Now I have controled this, but even when the account is now performing well, traffic volume seems to have lowered too much.

The Keywords that bring traffic and conversions seem to be too generic to perform well (the cost usually is over the total convertions value).

What would you suggest to improve traffic now that I have reasonable good Ads, landings, and structure?

For instance, i don't have a proper Idea if content network is helping or making it worse.

Thanks in advance.

Juan Cruz Villanueva

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Convertions vs volume

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Juan,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Now I have controled this, but even when the account is now performing well, traffic volume seems to have lowered too much.

The Keywords that bring traffic and conversions seem to be too generic to perform well (the cost usually is over the total convertions value).

My first question to you would be whether you have analysed the Search Terms report or not?

This report is very crucial and will help you identifying what delivered match types are the most for your keywords.

Also, which match types are you running the most inside the account? Is it broad more and others less?

First of all I would suggest you to look at the converting search terms and include them in your account as keywords to get the most out of them.

Similarly, look for the irrelevant queries and introduce them as negative keywords at ad group and campaign level.

Also, look for the segment Network (with search partners). It will help you analysing whether you are getting any business from Google Search Partners or not. In case it's not proving good, you can eliminate search partners and go for Google Search  only.

For instance, i don't have a proper Idea if content network is helping or making it worse.

I don't think it's a bad idea to start with Google Display Network. You can first identify whether it would be fruitful to go for it by exploring the Placement Targeting Tool, Contextual Targeting Tool and then take the decision whether to start with it or not. Make sure that you create this Campaign separate from Google Search Network.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

In addition to Pankaj's great advice on places to start optimizing, I'd add that it's not really considered a Best Practice to serve both Display network and Search network advertising in the same campaign.  If you split these out and serve them separately, you'll have more control over each.

You'll also be better able to optimize your Display campaign so that you'll be able to measure the results more accurately and knnow if the money is being well spent or if you want to stop servicing that audience because it doesn't produce the results you need.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Juan,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

My first question to you would be whether you have analysed the Search Terms report or not?

This report is very crucial and will help you identifying what delivered match types are the most for your keywords.

Also, which match types are you running the most inside the account? Is it broad more and others less?

First of all I would suggest you to look at the converting search terms and include them in your account as keywords to get the most out of them.

Similarly, look for the irrelevant queries and introduce them as negative keywords at ad group and campaign level.

Also, look for the segment Network (with search partners). It will help you analysing whether you are getting any business from Google Search Partners or not. In case it's not proving good, you can eliminate search partners and go for Google Search  only.

I don't think it's a bad idea to start with Google Display Network. You can first identify whether it would be fruitful to go for it by exploring the Placement Targeting Tool, Contextual Targeting Tool and then take the decision whether to start with it or not. Make sure that you create this Campaign separate from Google Search Network.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

In addition to Pankaj's great advice on places to start optimizing, I'd add that it's not really considered a Best Practice to serve both Display network and Search network advertising in the same campaign.  If you split these out and serve them separately, you'll have more control over each.

You'll also be better able to optimize your Display campaign so that you'll be able to measure the results more accurately and knnow if the money is being well spent or if you want to stop servicing that audience because it doesn't produce the results you need.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 4
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Juan,

Welcome to the AdWords Community! 

I'd like to add some new resources what has changed in terms of the Google Display Network: 

Blog post: A better way to buy display

Help Center article: About the Display Network tab - What has changed

Best,

Zee
G+