AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Conversions went Down

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

My conversions in the Week of 29th  - 5th May were 15 per click conversions

In last week 6th May - 12th May the conversions went down to 5 only....not sure what actually happened..!! 

I tried to diagnose the problem and what i noticed is very common with respect to conversions. The keywords which usually performs in most of the days didn't performed in the week of 6th May - 12th May. Rest of the metrics like CPC, Avg ad position, Quality score,bounce rate is all the same and No landing page issue too....

Some more info: The Most performing keywords gave only 2 conversions in last week and in the week 29th April  - 5th May the same keywords gave 8 conversions....along with some more performing keywords..

Can any one help me out with this?? why this could have happened apart from my views? and what i can do to get constant 12 conversions or more per campaign in a week ( 36 conversions from 3 main campaigns )

Really stuck with this...Please help...If you need any more info feel free to ask me.

Frank

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversions went Down

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Have you tried this automatic manager ?

http://www.google.com/intl/en/ads/conversionoptimizer/

Have you tried to make your ads more relevant with phone/location/sitelinks extensions ?

Have you tried to change the text of your ads to more appealing ones and see which perform better ?

In you ad text do you use call to action , USP ( unique selling propositions) and do all your words start with a Capital Letter in order to attract attention ? Do you use your keywords in the titles of ads ?

If I managed to provide the final solution for your question , please come back and close this thread with green button "Accept this solution"

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Thanks!

My answer is "YES" for all the questions that you have asked...But "NO" to Conversion Optimizer as i am using ECPC setting....I used Conversion Optimizer setting earlier but the results were not satisfactory so opted out of it....

Any more insight..?

Frank

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Do you have campaign running for seasonal reasons. Eg mothers day campaign or similar.

Can you check the CPCs of the performing keywords. Are these almost same or the average CPC of the campaign is same.

If there were no seasonal changes to the campaign then you might try increasing the CPC for performing keywords and check the conversions and actual CPCs paid for those performing keywords.

If this keeps CPA in control and then you can keep the CPCs higher and try focusing on low CPC performing keywords which might do well after optimizing.

Also you can try using broad keyword matching for performing keywords. You can "add" broad match keywords rather than editing the existing ones. And then you can decide which keywords are performing.

Does this help.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Frank, how long has this Account been running?

Make sure you're not reading too much into very short term data fluctuations.  It's very common for sales performance (both organic and paid) to fluctuate, sometimes quite widely, and the cause of these fluctuations can be very wide and disparate.  If you "knee-jerk" respond to what are normal variations you run the risk of "unbalancing" your Account, making unnecessary changes that harm rather than help and which then cause their own fluctuations.

Although it's hard to do (I know) it's often best to allow an Account to demonstrate a clear pattern before making changes then only changing one thing in one place.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Frank,

I quite agree with Jon on this. You can not expect to get the same number of conversions each day. You can hope to reach a predictable average.

This might help. It's an A/B statistical significance calculator. For the two days in question, enter the number of impressions and the number of conversions. The calculator will tell you whether it is a statistically significant difference.

If you had only 1000 impressions in that period, it may be significant. If you had 10,000 impressions it is likely not significant.

What is significant? Basically, that means form a statistical viewpoint, you should be able to repeat the performance within reason.

It not very useful for the overall campaign performance. But it can help evaluate individual keywords.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

@Jon - The campaigns are running from almost 1 year but i started managing around 6 months back.. 

@petebardo thanks for the letting me know the "A/B statistical significance calculator" i checked the data via tool. The result came out to be as Positive i.e there was a "Significant change" but i didn't disturbed any of the campaigns structuring by adding, deleting etc....as i believe in making changes within the campaigns based on healthy time frame and statistical data..

Yesterday the same keyword gave me 2 conversions while in the last entire week the same keyword gave me only 2

So, this kind of activity is like natural over a period of time don't you think ?

Apart from this i noticed that one of my campaigns daily budget is not getting utilized completely. Should i use the Shared budget here..? Does this makes any sense..? Haven't tried it yet so not sure how it works..!!! Does this Shared budget gives preference to the campaigns that gets more conversions for the day..?

Looking for your feedbacks...

Cheers!

Frank

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

I have to agree with Jon. The data you're working with--a couple of conversions, a day or a week, is simply not large enough for true statistical significance.

Regardless of the A/B results (which are inaccurate when tested with too-little data), the fact remains that these are isolated examples, not patterns or trends. 

If you view long-term data (really long-term--several months' worth, at least), you may find seasonality patterns you can address. That is, you might find that most of your conversions come during the first and third or third and fourth weeks of the month. Or they occur on Mondays and Thursdays but never on Tuesdays or Saturdays, or at certain hours of the day, for instance. You can then use that data to make adjustments to your campaign--adjusting bids to make the most of high-conversion times or to conserve budget during low-conversion times.

You can even split your initiative and have one campaign and one set of ads available during "peak" conversion times and a whole different campaigns active at other times.That way, you can test offers--discounts or specials--during off-peak times to try and get some of those non-converting visitors to convert.

Aside from that--if a keyword converts on one day but not on another, in spite of having the same bid and ad, you might check out your auction insights. There may be a competitor advertising more aggressively on some days than others. (Check this by monitoring auction insights for the specific time periods separately.)

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*