1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Conversions by time of day

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Experienced user here, just wanted some confirmation or advice about this search network strategy. I'm aware of many other strategies, many of them already in place, so please stick to this specific topic please. TY! Smiley Happy

My business has a seasonal flow. Over the busiest three month period I typically go over budget every day (impression share around 70%). I did a report of conversions per hour of day. Around 1/3rd of my clicks are between 4pm and 9pm with a conversion rate of 24%.  All other hours average 31% conversion.

If you can't find anything else that does better, would you take away those hours to gain 7% conversion?

Thank you!

Brian

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Conversions by time of day

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Brian,

One option is to try an maximise your impressions during the higher converting times. You may want to look into either lowering your bids between 4-9pm or even pause them completely so you have more budget for the better hours which would lead to an increase of total onversions.

Are you still making a good ROI between 4pm-9pm? If so, it might be worth just letting it run.

You did mention conversion rate, but is the CPA worse between 4-9pm?

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 12
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Yeah, I'd say go for it and let us know how you get on. 

As long as you are measuring the same stats (contact us page views) it will give you some insight on how it performs.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Brian,

One option is to try an maximise your impressions during the higher converting times. You may want to look into either lowering your bids between 4-9pm or even pause them completely so you have more budget for the better hours which would lead to an increase of total onversions.

Are you still making a good ROI between 4pm-9pm? If so, it might be worth just letting it run.

You did mention conversion rate, but is the CPA worse between 4-9pm?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Brian,

I have one more query.

What is the % of conversions you get during 4PM to 9PM, out of the total number of conversions in a day?

Info

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
39%

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks um fuzz Smiley Happy

Bounce rates are around 7% worse between those same hours, so at least that's consistent.

Conversion in my case is triggered by visits to a contact page. I don't sell products online or I would have more reliable data to play with, like ROI and CPA.

No other metric compared to conversions (trust me I ran reports on them allSmiley Happy gave me more than 7% improvement.  Day of week gave me the 2nd highest...  Fridays are 5% below average.

I should start tracking how many calls we get per day from new clients, then I can tell much more.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Brian,

You get nearly 40% of your conversions and 1/3 of your clicks during 4PM to 9PM.

So the conversion drop (%) is just because most of your prospective clients are active/searching during this time.

So effectively the time between 4PM to 9PM can be the most profitable time for you. Check the average ad position during this time (if your competitors also find this is the time most of the searchers are active then they may be bidding high and that may be impacting your conversion rate).

So the CPA during this time (4-9) can be a good indicator of performance as Adam mentioned above.

Info

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

oops sorry.. it's 28% of all conversions and 34% of all clicks are between 4pm-9pm.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Ok. But still 1/3 of the clicks are producing 1/3 of the conversions, so have an eye on your CPA.

And please be careful with your calculations Smiley Happy

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Why not try pausing it off for a couple of hours between 4-9pm to see if this can bring in more of the higher quality traffic to get additional conversions. This would probably give you a lift but without proper tracking in place it'll be near impossible to tell.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

If I look at the same number of hours that have the highest conversion rate they are 41% of all conversions and 35% of all clicks.

Info, sorry to mess up the flow of the conversation!.