AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Conversions Reducing

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All.

I've been freelancing on my own for 5 months now, and across a few accounts (one or two), I am starting to see a reduction in conversions. I know there are tonnes of things that could be effecting this but im started to get frustrated at the fact I can't work out why. Whether this is my inexperience or just me I don't know (I have 2.5 years experience with Adwords now). 

I tend to go through accounts and pause keywords that have not converted for a period of time that is appropriate for that account, I'll also pause low CTR keywords for obvious reasons. 

I can't pinpoint where I am going wrong. I do have rules running which adjust bids to first page bids, and also which move ads above positions 3.5 or 3.00 depending. 

Any thoughts?

Just some general tips on optimising for CONVERSIONS might be a good pick me up. I'm looking for advice from anyone with more than 5+ experience preferably thank you. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Abbie R
June 2016

Re: Conversions Reducing

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Abbie,

Abbie Q -  "I've been freelancing on my own for 5 months now, and across a few accounts (one or two), I am starting to see a reduction in conversions. I know there are tonnes of things that could be effecting this but im started to get frustrated at the fact I can't work out why. Whether this is my inexperience or just me I don't know (I have 2.5 years experience with AdWords now)."

Answer:-

I will recommend to cross check the following report and compare the Daily & Weekly Performance and find out which is the exact day and week from where you conversion is start decreasing..

• Cross check the converted keywords trend - Cross check the previous conversion rate and cpl Vs. current
  • Cross check the converted Avg. Position - Cross check the avg. position report on keywords level and If Average Position gone down then please increase the bid on the converted keywords.
  • Cross check the Search Query Report -
    • If you are getting irrelevant Search Term in the campaigns and getting more clicks without conversion then i will recommend to exclude that keywords on campaign or ad group level.
    • If you are getting relevant Search Term with Good Conversion Rate with low Cost/Conversion then please add that keywords in the relevant ad group if that is not available.
    • You can also find out the search term which was performing better in terms of Good Conversion Rate with Low Cost/Conversion And cross check that Search Term is exactly contributing or not in the performance against the particular keywords.
  • Cross check the Ad Report - Find out the non performing Text Ads and i will recommend to pause that ads and create new one.

Day of Hour Report - Cross check the Day of Hour Report and schedule your campaign accordingly.

Device Wise Report - Cross check the device report and adjust the bid accordingly.

Week of Day ReportCross check the Week of Day report and adjust the bid accordingly through bid adjustment.

Abbie Q - "I tend to go through accounts and pause keywords that have not converted for a period of time that is appropriate for that account, I'll also pause low CTR keywords for obvious reasons."

Answer:- You have done this right but i hope you have consider the the benchmark CTR as per campaign performance and then you have paused the keywords.

Abbie Q - "I can't pinpoint where I am going wrong. I do have rules running which adjust bids to first page bids, and also which move ads above positions 3.5 or 3.00 depending."

Answer:- I will not recommend to use this rule for first page bid adjustment for grab the position. In this case Automatic Bid Adjustment Rule can increase the bid on the performing and non performing keywords also.

I will recommend to optimize your campaign as per above suggestions and You can also cross check full Optimizations Checklist which we have shared with you.

I hope this will help you.

Thanks,

Anand

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Well what industry are the accounts in? What types of campaigns are we talking about? There are a ton of different things that could be affecting conversions, it's really hard to say without a lot more info.

All that said, bidding for top of page isn't the best converting option; being at the top doesn't matter if you're serving to people who don't want to buy. Have you tried Target ROAS or CPA bidding? Enhanced CPC? Checked your device bid adjustments and conversion rates?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Keep in mind that there was a recent change, where the number of ads above the organic results has typically increased from 3 to 4. If you used to get conversions in the #3 spot, perhaps #4 is needed now. The bottom ad is often the sweet spot for conversions vs cost.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Abbie R
June 2016

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Abbie,

Abbie Q -  "I've been freelancing on my own for 5 months now, and across a few accounts (one or two), I am starting to see a reduction in conversions. I know there are tonnes of things that could be effecting this but im started to get frustrated at the fact I can't work out why. Whether this is my inexperience or just me I don't know (I have 2.5 years experience with AdWords now)."

Answer:-

I will recommend to cross check the following report and compare the Daily & Weekly Performance and find out which is the exact day and week from where you conversion is start decreasing..

• Cross check the converted keywords trend - Cross check the previous conversion rate and cpl Vs. current
  • Cross check the converted Avg. Position - Cross check the avg. position report on keywords level and If Average Position gone down then please increase the bid on the converted keywords.
  • Cross check the Search Query Report -
    • If you are getting irrelevant Search Term in the campaigns and getting more clicks without conversion then i will recommend to exclude that keywords on campaign or ad group level.
    • If you are getting relevant Search Term with Good Conversion Rate with low Cost/Conversion then please add that keywords in the relevant ad group if that is not available.
    • You can also find out the search term which was performing better in terms of Good Conversion Rate with Low Cost/Conversion And cross check that Search Term is exactly contributing or not in the performance against the particular keywords.
  • Cross check the Ad Report - Find out the non performing Text Ads and i will recommend to pause that ads and create new one.

Day of Hour Report - Cross check the Day of Hour Report and schedule your campaign accordingly.

Device Wise Report - Cross check the device report and adjust the bid accordingly.

Week of Day ReportCross check the Week of Day report and adjust the bid accordingly through bid adjustment.

Abbie Q - "I tend to go through accounts and pause keywords that have not converted for a period of time that is appropriate for that account, I'll also pause low CTR keywords for obvious reasons."

Answer:- You have done this right but i hope you have consider the the benchmark CTR as per campaign performance and then you have paused the keywords.

Abbie Q - "I can't pinpoint where I am going wrong. I do have rules running which adjust bids to first page bids, and also which move ads above positions 3.5 or 3.00 depending."

Answer:- I will not recommend to use this rule for first page bid adjustment for grab the position. In this case Automatic Bid Adjustment Rule can increase the bid on the performing and non performing keywords also.

I will recommend to optimize your campaign as per above suggestions and You can also cross check full Optimizations Checklist which we have shared with you.

I hope this will help you.

Thanks,

Anand

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for all the good advice and info. I might make another post about the rules issue.