Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Conversions Down & Impression Share

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

Got a odd issue at the moment - running a account for a consumer electronics retailer and for this month (1-13) we are 40% down on conversions against the same period last year. We are also down against each month this year. 

Budget is not an issue, as we're not reaching it. We've spent less money and maintained clicks. It's our Impression Share on Shopping and our conversions that are down. Not sure how to increase the impression share when we're bidding competitively and not even reaching the budget.

Is anyone else experiencing something similar in this industry? Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Jun 1 - Jun 13 2016      
ImprClicksCTRCPCConvsAvg POSImpr Share SearchImpr Share Shopping
492,47013,1032.66%£0.22850.838.88%27.74%

Jun 1 - Jun 13 2015      
ImprClicksCTRCPCConvsAvg POSImpr Share SearchImpr Share Shopping
1,186,63013,6291.15%£0.241431.827.14%50.90%

Appreciate your suggestions,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversions Down & Impression Share

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Michael, I am also facing similar problems from time to time. Are you bidding on same search terms which brought you conversions last year?
You have lower IS from Shopping so you might have losed some relevant traffic from this campaign.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alexey,

It is different from last year, not massively as some products have a few years of lifetime so we will still be advertising them, some are replaced every year. We are advertising the same products as last month though.

Our impression share for the same period last month (June 16) is the same as this month (July 16), it's just conversion rate that has dropped. Our CTR for this month vs last month on shopping has gone up, 2.07% to 2.27%.

We did have a few good sellers from last year, but not enough to make up the difference.

Cheers,

Michael

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
The big difference is that you are getting 50% fewer impressions this year than last. Those impressions / that audience could represent the conversions you are now missing. Not all clicks lead to conversions. You could have the same click volume, but that doesn't mean those clicks are as valuable.

Where was the money (conversions) coming from last year?

If all the revenue was coming from the shopping campaign, then you need to get into the merchant center account and make sure nothing has gone haywire. Google is now requiring certain pieces of information that they didn't last year (GTIN's?), have you double-checked all the feed requirements?

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom,

I see what you mean, I hadn't really thought of that because I have halved my impressions this year vs last and not lost conversions. Maybe I will look at some search terms for last year and see if I added them as negatives this year.

The majority was from Search, and one particular strong campaign which is performing the same as last year. The biggest loss is Shopping.

Yeah we have been using the GTIN attribute for a few years, we've got all we need in the feed(s). I did have a Google Support rep check the account to make sure nothing was wrong.

I think I will add some more broad keywords and look at my negatives and see what that does.

Cheers,

Michael.