AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion rate nut

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I was wondering if somebody could help me out with some ideas. I have a web site which offers free, online auctions. I have used Awords for some time, focusing on clicks. For some time it has been obvious that this is not the right strategy because I receive clicks, but very seldom conversions, in this case sign-ups or people actually leaving an ad there.

The strange thing is that roughly two times per month people do sign up, but this seems to happen inside a window of 24 hours. During that period I can have 2-3 sign-ups. Then it is totally dead for 2-3 weeks or so. I am almost certain that this is not a coincidence. There is a pattern, but I am not able to figure out what the pattern is or how to adjust Adwords to make conversions happen. One theory is that it coincides with other advertisers having exhausted their budget so my ad gets to the top.

About one month ago I increased the budget with 1/3. That improved the CTR same amount, but not the conversion rate.

The funny thing is that the ad which points to the sign-up page is the ad with best CTR, but seldom leads to conversions. CTR is 1.5% through ~two years

Recently I decided to try "Focus on conversions". I have added the tracking code for the "Sign up completed"-page, but "Focus on conversions" is not available because my campaign doesn't have enough data.

Any ideas how I could crack this conversion nut?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversion rate nut

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good morning.

This is a matter where a lot of people will have a lot of opinions. Smiley Happy  

If you're driving a lot of traffic to your website that doesn't convert, start by looking at a couple of things:

1) Keywords - Are your keywords as tightly focused as you can make them? Are you sure you're advertising on keywords very specific to what you're selling and that you're not using overly broad match types on those keywords, leaving your campaign open to serve traffic you don't actually want? (At the same time, make sure you have a robust negative keyword list, to block unwanted searches.)

2) Ads - Is your ad text clear about what you're selling? Does it offer a compelling message to attract people specifically interested in your product to click on it?

You mention a 1.5% CTR for your 'best' ad - be aware that Best Practices say that  ads should have a CTR of 5% or better on Google. While this isn't a hard-and-fast number, it does suggest that your ad CTRs are low. Always be testing new messaging and new ad text. Experiment with new calls to action, make sure your headlines are both eye-catching and designed to attract a specific set of searchers.

3) Your AdWords campaign(s) drive traffic but it's your website that drives conversions. If you're sure that the traffic you're driving to your website is precisly the traffic you want to reach, then the lack of conversions may be tied to the landing pages you're using. Make sure page load times are fast, make sure that webpages are clearly and obviously tied to the statements you make in your ads. Experiment with different layouts and headlines on your ad landing pages (if you can), looking for the layout and messaging that appeal to your target audience.

You also don't say whether you're advertising for buyers or sellers--obviously you'll want separate landing pages and separate areas of the website for each of those groups. The messaging that works for one doesn't work for the other. If you're using Google Analytics, do some research there to track what your paid traffic is doing when it comes to your website--how many pages do people visit, what pages, implement Site Search (if you haven't already) so that you can tell if there's a pattern to what people are searching for--and not finding--on your site.

Along with all of that, don't forget to mine your current conversion data to see if you can find a pattern in when and how your conversions are coming. It may be that your campaign is one that converts mostly on weekends--or mostly evenings--or mostly around the end of the month, or something like that. There are industries with very specific patterns for when and how their customers convert.

Those are just a few starting ideas, hope they help!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*