2.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion in Display and Search networks

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I'd like to know some stats about conversion when on Display and Search networks.

On average Search network will give better/higher conversion but at the same time the CPC/competition will also be higher.

Re: Conversion in Display and Search networks

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

On an average yes you are right but Search will normally have higher conversion rate. But Display might give you higher conversion in actual numbers. Its a tricky question and stats will vary for each campaign. Its a very open ended question if you can be more specific, this thread will be very interesting

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Tom

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I´d say the conversion rate for display network depends a lot on your targeting. If you for examplel target a webpage which to a large part is visited by people who is in your (well defined) target group, and you have a strong ad-message and a first class landing page - then you can see very nice conversion rates also for display network campaigns.

Also, I am experiencing very good conversion rates - and very nice conversion costs - when using remarketing.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Umm, a very 'very' subjective question to be honest.

There are so many things that can influence this, firstly, the industry and type of offering: If you're selling a cell phone accessory, the search network will definitely work better than display for you. However, if you're running a campaign for lead generation, then the GDN may convert better for you here.

The key is to understand your product / service and the value derived from each conversion before deciding on which network to advertise in.

The CPCs in search might be more than display, but we've seen instances wherein search has converted far better than search and hence the increased CPCs have been nullified as such.

Hence, you first need to identify with the product or service at hand and then think about the network that you would want to venture into.

Cheers,

Nikhil 

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I meant to discuss non-subjective issues. One is that negative keywords don't apply effectively in display network. Another thing is that visitors in display network will likely be passive targets while in display network like when watching youtube or in gmail.

Ads targeting in display network will not be focused. broad/phrase/exact matches will not be accurate and for phrase/exact we will need to depend on Google's matching algorithm. Unfocused ads will bring down our ROI

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Tom

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

tomhalejr,

I totally agree with your overall argument, that there are methods and tools to make advertising in the display network quite focused and targeted, although (I´d argue) it generally demands more time, patience and resources than gettings good targeting in the search network.

However, you seem to argue that keyword match types also apply to display network advertising, and that I belive is not correct. Google writes that "All keywords' match type are translated to broad match on the Google Display Network".

But this can be old information, things may have changed? Or maybe I misunderstood you.