AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Window

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello AdWords Community,

So we have a few campaigns running and we changed the conversion window from 30 days to 7 days.  We have 2 Types of campaigns:

1. Brand - New - Search - Remarketing List that EXCLUDES people who have purchased in the last 540 days

2. Brand - Returning - Search - Remarketing List that INCLUDES people who have purchased in the last 540 days

We changed the conversion window to 7 days and conversions literally took a huge dive for the worst, CPC's practically doubled.  Even in the New campaign.  We can't figure out why?

Any help would be greatful.

I also found the below in Adwords help but I am not sure if it make quite any sense to me.  Please advise.

Keep in mind: If you set your conversion window to 7 days, any conversion that happens more than 7 days after the click won't be recorded. This means it won't appear in Attribution reports.The time lag report will also be capped at 7 days, so you won't see how many conversions helped by AdWords happened during the next 7 days.

PPCSophie
2 Expert replyverified_user

Conversion Window

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

AdWords is uses last AdWords Click attribution. So maybe am example will help you:

Let's say I do a search, click on your ad and visit your site. When I'm on your site I don't pull the trigger but I'm thinking about you again. Then let's say I come back to your site via direct visit or clicking on an organic result, whatever and purchase 20 days after my ad click. Now here's the important part: by default AdWords uses Last AdWords Clicks Attribution. So since my last AdWords click was 20 days ago, my conversion will count if you kept your 30 day conversion window however it will not count with your new 7 day conversion Window. 

If you go to Tools > Attribution > Attribution Modeling you can see different attribution models and how they affect conversions and you can view different conversion windows.

The larger point though is that the shorter your conversion window, the fewer conversions you'll register. It's hard to say what's right for your company. We have a long sales cycle and high AOV so we use as long a conversion window as we're allowed. If you have a short sales cycle, low AOV, or count leads as conversions, a shorter conversion window is probably better.

Hope that helps!

Conversion Window

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for your reply Josh A.  But before we made this change we did take into account the Time Lag attribution and it says 80% of conversions happen within less than the 1st day from the last click.

We don't have a long sales funnel as we are primarily Brand searches for $10 to $100 price points.

PPCSophie

Conversion Window

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Do you use any auto bid strategy?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Conversion Window

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Moshe,

Currently we are not using any auto bid strategies as we have 10 quality scores and only biding on Brand.

Sophia

PPCSophie

Conversion Window

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry, I wish I could provide more help but without being able to actually dig into the data there's not much more information I can provide. The one thing I can say is CPC's doubling probably is not the result of conversion window changes. Those two things aren't related.

Do you have competitors bidding on your brand that weren't there prior to the conversion window switch? One cause could be new competitors coincidentally started bidding on your brand right around the same time that you changed your conversion window. This could drive up your CPC's and, if they have a more compelling offer, this could reduce your conversions.

You stated the raw number of conversions have dropped but what has conversion rate done? Did it drop at by the same percentage?

Were there any promotions or offers on the site prior to the conversions dropping that aren't there now?

Basically can you rule out all other factors causing your drop in conversions?

Conversion Window

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

If you are only targeting your brand terms, then why make things so complicated? You will always get the best buy for your advertising dollars from brand terms. I would be more concerned about leaving money on the table by trying to squeeze a few extra points out of the ROI. If users are actively searching for your brand, you don't want to limit their ability to find you.

Tom

Conversion Window

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @PPCSophie

You already got some wonderful insights from the experts above. I will only add to it -

The sentence in the article you referred is a bit confusing. Let's take it off first. 

If you set your conversion window to 7 days, any conversion that happens more than 7 days after the click won't be recorded.

No! The conversion will still be recorded and counted, but not for the click that initiated it. Why? Because it falls outside the conversion window. 

Let's take an example -

First click = 1st July

Conversion Day = 8th July

Conversion Window = 7 Days. 

AdWords will count this conversion, but not for the click which was initiated on 1st July. This conversion will be attributed to 8th July. It means, on this setup, you won't have any clue that the user in question came into the conversion funnel a week ago. And hence, you will miss such a valuable insight about users' journey for your products/services. 

Now, let's understand the impact it might have in your scenario. If your attribution reports says that a reasonably large part of your conversions time lag is more than 7 days and you have your conversion window set for 7 days only, the system will get lesser number of conversions to optimise your campaigns for.

In simple terms, by decreasing the conversion windows, you are actually forcing the system to attribute conversion to maybe - a wrong ad group, or ad, or keyword. In short, the data which the system is being asked to refer to is not depicting the real scenario. It means optimisation is being forced for the wrong performance signals. 

This is the reason it is critically important to understand customers' path to purchase and the time lag really well before jumping to choose a conversion window. 

Further, if you are remarketing with such a long audience membership duration, you must have longer conversion window, ideally 90 days. 

My two cents. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

https://twitter.com/ratanjha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Conversion Window

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello TomHaleJr,

This something that has been plaguing me since I took over the account and the team.  They have an exclusion to exclude people who made a purchase for 540 days in the "New" campaign but I can't figure out, or even come to terms with the logic behind the reasoning as it seems like its over complicating things.

So its a:

RLSA - New - Exclude people who purchased for 540 Day

RLSA - Returning - Includes people who made a purchase in 540 days

The thought is it decreases spend and they get to analyze the value of the New vs. returning customer.

Does it makes sense to you, what are your recommendations?

PPC Sophie

PPCSophie

Conversion Window

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

This was extremely helpful Ratan as i was very confused on that line in the Adwords help doc.

Thank you for that clarification.

PPCSophie