Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Tracking by keywords help?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I am currently using a ppc software, it offers no benefit other than their keyword tracking that allows us to match keywords & match types to the actual deals that we fund and it is all linked to Salesforce.  I am positive that we can do this ourselves through Google Analytics but not sure how.......any suggestions?

PPCSophie
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversion Tracking by keywords help?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

Can you please elaborate more on "actual deals that we fund" this point?

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi PPCSophie,

Building software to track individual purchases to keywords and match types is non-trivial, to say the least. Google Analytics is set up so as not to identify the individual users. Linking to Salesforce is not simple, either.

I would not attempt to tackle this without a very experienced team of developers.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm sorry to confuse you. We are not building software. We just want better tracking through Google Analytics rather than using this outside company to track down to keywords. When I say actual deals that we fund, I think I just gave too much details rather than sticking to the main question.

Ultimately, I would like to know how you track your campaigns on a keyword level directly to your conversions using Google Analytics?

PPCSophie

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

I am going to assume a few things here.

Assumptions

• You want to track each transaction and value of transaction back to campaign, keyword and match type

If this is a correct assumption then simple answer is yes you can do this. 

How?

• You cant do this inside analytics interface as you are trying to pull more than 2 dimensions 
  • Although you can do this via analytics API or App Scripts
  • Simpler way is via appscripts and can find out how to use it here
  • Using appscript you can pull data using dimensions as ga:transactionId,ga:adMatchType,ga:keyword and metrics as ga:totalValue

Hope this is what you were looking at. 

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I am not sure if its an app script or not @theniks maybe more of a Adwords script.

What I am trying to accomplish is matching keywords to forms filled out. For example: 

• Joe Schmo searches for "Business Cash Help" then
  • Joe Schmo clicks on my ad then
  • Joe Schmo reaches my landing page then
  • Joe Schmo fills out my "Get a quote" form then
  • Our sales contact Joe Schmo then
  • Joe Schmo likes what he hears and buy our products

I would like to match the keyword Joe Schmo used on Google to get to our ad then match it up, if (or even if he doesnt) he buys our product. Get it?

Below is the url that the company I hired to track down to the keyword level matching to clients that filled the form out.  I see some Anlaytics parameters in there but I am not sure if An lytics allows me to do the same thing.  Suggetions please?

www.blahblahblah.com/ppc/small-business-cahs/?trackid=4741&cct_info=1|30108|2571198874|93606777|3654364977|{matchtype}|{creative}|tc||{network}|{ifmobile:m}|{placement}|{target}&cct_ver=3&cct_bk={keyword}
PPCSophie

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi PPCSophie,

It's hard to say exactly what they were doing with this data. Not sure where the trackid comes from. The rest are not Analytics parameters. It's likely the data is used to create a cookie and some of the data may be stored in a local database. This data must be captured by the landing page after an AdWords click. At check out time, the order and all this data is matched up and stored in the db.

I really just wanted to comment on the keyword tracking you're looking for. The {keyword} in the query string produces the keyword on which you bid that was triggered by the user's search query. Retrieving the actual search query will be inconsistent, and, if it exists, will be in the referrer data. If the user used secure search, the search query will not be available in that data.

I'm not familiar with the API or with scripts, so I'll leave that to Steve.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords