3.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Optimizer and Search Queries

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Does Conversion Optimizer takes into account search query or just keyword?

Search query would be more logical. If it's the search query, then I have one more question:

Example:
Campaign is structured so that each ad group has only one match type and ad serving is controlled with negatives per ad group. Conversion Optimizer is running. The market is very competitive.

Ad group Widgets Broad has broad keyword Widget.
Search query report shows query Best Blue Widget with lots of clicks and few onversions at the acceptable CPA.
If I put Best Blue Widget as an exact keyword in ad group Widgets Exact (and make it as a negative exact in ad group Widgets Broad) can I expect that temporarily traffic will drop for that query since it is now in another ad group and covered by another keyword? Or will the system "remember" query's past performance from another ad group/keyword?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Conversion Optimizer and Search Queries

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi dragansedam,

Thank you for posting on our Community forum.

In answer to your 1st question: "Does Conversion Optimizer takes into account search query or just keyword?"

• Conversion Optimizer takes into account both search query and keywords. Using historical information about your campaign, Conversion Optimizer automatically finds the optimal equivalent CPC bid for your ad each time it's eligible to appear. You still pay per click, but you no longer need to adjust your bids manually to reach your conversion goals. Having said that, there are some tips listed on the Increase your campaign's conversions of the AdWords Help Center that you may want to review here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471188?hl=en

Regarding your 2nd question,: "If I put Best Blue Widget as an exact keyword in ad group Widgets Exact (and make it as a negative exact in ad group Widgets Broad) can I expect that temporarily traffic will drop for that query since it is now in another ad group and covered by another keyword?"

• As long as your adding it  to the existing ad group within the campaign that has at least 15 conversions within 30 days, you should not receive any significant descrease (temporarily) in traffic. 

For the last question: "Or will the system "remember" query's past performance from another ad group/keyword?" 

• My previous answer should also address this question. 

Please let me know if the information I replied with addressed all your questions. Thanks.

Re: Conversion Optimizer and Search Queries

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you for your detailed reply. That's what I thought, too, moving query serving to another ad group could cause temporary drop in traffic since history is lost. The same as without conversion optimizer, but I am assuming the effect could be bigger here since bids are also affected.

"As long as your adding it to the existing ad group..."
Having multiple match types in the same ad group while using conversion optimizer doesn't sound like a good idea since reporting might get skewed if broad match earns higher bid than exact.

Thanks!