AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Optimizer Questions -- conversion decreased

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have an e-commerce account used conversion optimizer since middle of March.

Then the story line is:

• In April, because of Easter Promotion, it got lots of conversion and have good CPA performance.
  • Then in May, suppose it was affected by conversion optimizer, the conversion number and CPA was great even though there is no promotion. But the spending was beyond client’s budget in the middle of May, so we reduced the budget sharply, just keep minimum budget to run campaigns, then got much less conversion at the end of May
  • Now in June, the performance was not as good as May. Impression, Clicks, CTR, CPC are stable, but CTA declined, conversion decreased and CPA was higher

I have some questions about conversion optimizer:

1. Does it calculate/optimize by using past 30 days data?
  2. What is the mechanism of conversion optimize?
  3. If I reduce budget, it would affect the later performance?

Do you have any suggestions? 

Thanks for your helpSmiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wong S
September 2015

Re: Conversion Optimizer Questions -- conversion decreased

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Wong S,

Welcome to the community!

I will my best to answer your questions here:

Does it calculate/optimize by using past 30 days data?

Yes, It takes into consideration the performance recorded in the past 30 days. I am quoting from AdWords Help here - "Use Conversion Optimizer with existing campaigns. The longer a campaign has used conversion tracking and the more conversions it's received in the past 30 days, the more data that Conversion Optimizer can draw upon to make predictions."

What is the mechanism of conversion optimize?

As I mentioned earlier, it takes into consideration the performance recorded in the past 30 days. The more conversions you have recorded better insights CO can derive from your campaign. Also, CO will work according to the Target CPA that you have set. If you change the CPA for individual adgroups ( yes, you need to do this at the adgroup level, if you were not already aware of this) and set a lower or a higher Target CPA for individual adgroups depending on the performance recorded. Your performance will vary according to the changes you make here. 

If I reduce budget, it would affect the later performance?

Yes, if you reduce budgets or change them by a big margin, the performance is bound to be affected. Again Quoting AdWords help here: "Don't make huge changes to a campaign while running Conversion Optimizer (example: removing all ad groups and replacing them with new ones). Do make small changes to your campaign that fit your business needs (examples: adding/removing keywords, changing creative, changing landing page)."

Here is the link to the same help section. I would advise you to read through this once thoroughly and try and optimize your campaign accordingly. If you still have any doubts here, do let us know.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471188?hl=en

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wong S
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Wong S,

Welcome to the community!

I will my best to answer your questions here:

Does it calculate/optimize by using past 30 days data?

Yes, It takes into consideration the performance recorded in the past 30 days. I am quoting from AdWords Help here - "Use Conversion Optimizer with existing campaigns. The longer a campaign has used conversion tracking and the more conversions it's received in the past 30 days, the more data that Conversion Optimizer can draw upon to make predictions."

What is the mechanism of conversion optimize?

As I mentioned earlier, it takes into consideration the performance recorded in the past 30 days. The more conversions you have recorded better insights CO can derive from your campaign. Also, CO will work according to the Target CPA that you have set. If you change the CPA for individual adgroups ( yes, you need to do this at the adgroup level, if you were not already aware of this) and set a lower or a higher Target CPA for individual adgroups depending on the performance recorded. Your performance will vary according to the changes you make here. 

If I reduce budget, it would affect the later performance?

Yes, if you reduce budgets or change them by a big margin, the performance is bound to be affected. Again Quoting AdWords help here: "Don't make huge changes to a campaign while running Conversion Optimizer (example: removing all ad groups and replacing them with new ones). Do make small changes to your campaign that fit your business needs (examples: adding/removing keywords, changing creative, changing landing page)."

Here is the link to the same help section. I would advise you to read through this once thoroughly and try and optimize your campaign accordingly. If you still have any doubts here, do let us know.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471188?hl=en

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Wong,

Conversion optimizer (CO) is not good for campaign, which has some offers, seasonal campaigns, dynamic budget, e.g, if you are changing the campaign budget depending upon the business requirement.

As you are running this CO campaign from April, when you had offers for the products/services also that was the good seasons for shoppers. Then you have reduced the budget in the middle of May, you have just put the campaign at minimum budget to run. Now, in June you see very less conversion and facing High CPA.

So, I can say, you have created very dynamic mechanisms to establish the CO campaign.

Now, Come to your questions:-

1. Does it calculate/optimize by using past 30 days data?

Yes you are correct, it uses past data to predict the CPC and conversions.

1. What is the mechanism of conversion optimize? Hoping, I am already explained you, however I would suggest you to go through the below article to understand the mechanism https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Determine-Bid-Strategy-Based-on-Your-Conversio...

3. If I reduce budget, it would affect the later performance

Yes, it would impact the campaign performance later, because, it will stable the system with current budget and CPA, and build the mechanics for future for the same.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Wong,

Shashank & Rakesh has already explained your doubts properly.

I am facing almost same situation with my campaign. However my website is not an E-commerce but from April I an running my campaign on CPA bid. And I found it great it gives me conversion at very low cost. I only need to optimize my targeting & placement.

One thing I noticed in last 2 months is any big change in a campaign which is running on CPA is not good. For 2-3 days you will find that your cost/conversion goes up, your conversion rate goes down your CTR will suffer too. So, I always make small change and if it works then make another small changes and this is working for me very well.