Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Optimiser

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

I've been reading up on Google Conversion Optimiser and wondering whether its something I should start using in my account.

Has anyone else used this? Would you reccomend it or not?

Thanks for any help/advice

Laura Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Conversion Optimiser

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Laura,

The Conversion Optimizer is an AdWords Tool that, in my opinion, should only be used when you have performed most of your manual optimization on the campaign. It cannot be used as a substitute for manual optimization.

I have used it on a few campaigns and most often, it works well. However, it is important that your campaign has been running for some time before you push it onto the Optimizer as it requires a fair bit of conversion history to work well. Additionally, you cannot set an unrealistic Max/Target CPA as that would result in either your ads not showing at all or you ending up squandering a lot of money.

Check the Conversion History of your ad groups to determine what their CPA has been over the last few months and set that as your CPA for each ad group. It is also important to keep an eye on the campaign to ensure that your impressions have not stopped completely. The Conversion optimizer will require a week or so to stabilize and begin working well.

- Heta 

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

In addition to Heta's great response, I recommend to use conversion optimizer if you have good conversion history at good conversion rate. It really works well.

I generally prefer to Start with recommended Targeted CPA by Google Adwords system and then make changes to Adgroup bids according to previous performance. 

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Laura,

The Conversion Optimizer is an AdWords Tool that, in my opinion, should only be used when you have performed most of your manual optimization on the campaign. It cannot be used as a substitute for manual optimization.

I have used it on a few campaigns and most often, it works well. However, it is important that your campaign has been running for some time before you push it onto the Optimizer as it requires a fair bit of conversion history to work well. Additionally, you cannot set an unrealistic Max/Target CPA as that would result in either your ads not showing at all or you ending up squandering a lot of money.

Check the Conversion History of your ad groups to determine what their CPA has been over the last few months and set that as your CPA for each ad group. It is also important to keep an eye on the campaign to ensure that your impressions have not stopped completely. The Conversion optimizer will require a week or so to stabilize and begin working well.

- Heta 

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

In addition to Heta's great response, I recommend to use conversion optimizer if you have good conversion history at good conversion rate. It really works well.

I generally prefer to Start with recommended Targeted CPA by Google Adwords system and then make changes to Adgroup bids according to previous performance. 

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Recommended Reading By Google: Best Practices Using Conversion Optimizer

Wiki Article By Scott: CPA Bidding

Thanks

Neha

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I had a bad experience using Feature "Conversion optimizer".

Initially the campaign has worked perfectly and gave a good number of conversions than normal. Later the impressions got decreased gradually for the campaign along with the clicks and conversions. 

Does any one experienced the same kind of situation?

Please advice.

Thanks

Raghu

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 6
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Heta and Neha have very good points. 

Conversion Optimizer is a tool and it performs best with good amount of data. So make sure you have enough of conversions to try it out. Here is a summary of useful tips to consider before trying it out.

Best,

Zee
G+

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Obviously the conversion optimizer works better the more data you have. But what does "more" mean. What volume (impressions, clicks, conversions) over what time is better?

How about

1 million impressions, 10 thousand clicks and 200 conversions over a period of a year.

compared to

10 thousand impressions, 1 thousand clicks and 30 conversions over a period of 1 month

??

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hiya,

It isn't too complicated to get Conversion optimiser to show a nice conversion spike after a few hundred cpc clicks...

The tricky part is to get real credential sales and to not canibalise free sales.

Also, one thing i'm not 100% sure of, but I strongly feel that way, is that CPA bids works a little like remarketing list for search... where you'd have a higher chance to display an ad to a user who'd have already visited your site via an adwords ad... (you can check % of new visitors for CPA camapigns for confirmation)

so... here are my advices:

1st of all and the most important one: ONLY USE CPA bids with PHRASE & EXACT match campaigns!

500 clicks on a broad match are close to worthless as they would have been triggered by thousands of different search queries with the most valuable ones having been triggered only once or twice, which might have up to 100% conversion rates. And as explained by the community, you need to have good historical data for CPA bids to actually work properly... 1 or 2 clicks are definitley not enough for google to pick it up. BROAD MATCH should be used to generate new keyword ideas.

However, 500 clicks on a phrase match is a gold mine and gives google a better idea how to treat this keyword and when to display the ad... It will take into consideration, similar users, user behavior, similar search patterns, downstream - upstream sites, etc.

If you target different countires, make sure you only run CPA bids for 1 country at a time

Why? for example someone looking for thongs in Australia and in the UK will not be loking for the same thing...

another example: 2 people searching for wine but based in the norhten and southern hemisphere in december willl probably not be looking for the same product either. December in southern hemisphere = high temperatures, more likely to buy rosé or white wine (where as people from the northen hemisphere might be more enclined to buy red or mulled wine)...

...You could even argue that this is applicable when targeting different regions / cities in  the same country

I wouldn't use CPA bids on camapigns full of long tail phrasematch keywords as it is already quite hard to generate traffic on these. Even if you have high traffic data, I still think that CPA bids is an easy option for generic search terms with up to 4-5 KW phrases max. but CPC is better for longer KW phrases as you can adjust cpc bids more easily and gain on impresison share.

Oh, on the impression share subject.

If you set you target CPA too low (i'm more a max CPA person, but it's for you t odecide), you will loose a lot on impression share! Havent checked yet but it might have somethign to do with search partners overtaking google search (where avg. cpc is usually higher than SP).

Make sure that your campaigns are optimised with the relevant negative keywords

Imagine your line of business is video on demand; you bid on the keyword "vod" and your domain name is vod-now.com... loyal visitors might look for you brand, e.g: "vod now" and because you've been CPC bidding on "vod" and turned CPA bids on, google will adjust its ad delivery and display the ad linked to the ad group where you bid on "vod" for all "vod now" EVEN IF YOU ALREADY are brand bidding via another campaign. This is a fact and really p**sed me off when I discovered it.

What I also recommend is to use keyword insertion on headlines (reminder: phrase and exact match camapigns only) and turn on optimise ad for conversions... this ususally perform well.

As per the time period...

I would definitely NOT turn CPA bidding on for any campaigns where it takes more than 1 month to generate 50 clicks for 80% of the keywords in that campaign (this is completely arbitrary though...). These might look like small values, but i'm talking exact / phrase matches...

I havent had time to do it yet, but the idea would be extract all your keywords in your CPA campaigns with low traffic and set them in a seperate campaign with CPC setups and run them untill they reach high enough clicks for CPA to be turned on, then re-extract the low traffic ones and create a new cmapigns, and so on and so on. But I would still restrict it to KW phrase of 3 to 4 (maybe 5 when your keyphrase includes a call to action KW)...

hope this helps Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Helps a lot,

cheers sifalio!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Raghu. Have you tried increasing your Target CPA?