Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Optimiser for PLA Campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm curious about trying out the conversion optimiser on a few of my product listing ad campaigns but am looking for some advice beforehand. I've only had the complete conversion tracking in operation properly for the last two weeks so I'm not in any hurry but I've been digging around and can't find anything that answers my questions. 

The product listing ad campaigns I have are quite large in terms of the range of products both in variety and price and I obviously would be willing to spend a little extra for a conversion from one of the higher ticket items than one of the small accessory products. To use the conversion optimiser properly should I restructure my campaigns into groups of products that would have a similar "ideal" CPA?

Basically I'm concerned that if I set a target or max cpa for my entire campaign of product listing ads I will be paying too much for some conversions and too little to compete for others.

Maybe I'm simply being too negative and god-forbid underestimating this new feature?

Any help/advice/similar experience is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversion Optimiser for PLA Campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You should restructure to 1 product with 1 SKU = 1 ad group, this is the only way you can have CPA per product within profit margins.

Also you need hundreds of previous conversions in order for the CPA optimiser to work. It uses previous statistic data to alter your MaxCPC bids.

When you change prices often or offer promotions you alter the CTR , the CPA optimiser can be paused in order to keep it's statistics not influenced by those temporary small distorsions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the input but restructuring so each product has it's own ad group is just not feasible for me, it would be much too granular and cumbersome.

I suppose what I really want confirmation of is whether or not I am correct in my assumption that if, for example, I set my CPA average target to $20 for my entire PLA campaign, will the conversion optimiser allocate the same budget per conversion for every product within the campaign regardless of the conversion value of that product?

If this is the case, by rights if I want to use the conversion optimiser correctly I should set campaigns which contain products which have a similar mark-up. I'd be keen to hear if anyone has had a similar scenario as this and how they resolved it/what their results were.

Thanks again,
Sean

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

there looks to be three distinct aspects of the question:
(1) pla -- campaign structure;
(2) cpa -- conversion optimizer;
(3) cpa -- (percent) bidding.

for (1) the best likely course is to add an adwords_grouping
attribute to the data (feed) and divide the items by assigning
group values; for example, one group of items might have
an adwords_grouping value of high-ticket and another group
of items might have an adwords_grouping value of low-ticket;
then, the campaigns or ad-groups might be separated based
on those (adwords_grouping) grouped items.

while the account might have enough historic data to be eligible for (2),
i believe the feature is currently incompatible with product-listing-ads
and those ads will stop running if the feature is set in the campaign.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response. I obviously didn't realise that the conversion optimiser wasn't compatible with product listing ad campaigns. If that's the case I've just wasted everyone's time, including myselves!

I was notified within AdWords that my two product listing campaigns were eligible for use with the conversion optimiser.

I'll contact them [AdWords Support] tomorrow to clarify (I've just had a search around and can't seem to find any clarification that they're not currently compatible with one another).

Thanks anyway for the input and apologies for wasting everyone's time if that is the case.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Please read from here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2868170?hl=en

" If your campaign is using settings that aren't compatible with Product Listing Ads, then your ads won't run. Conversion Optimizer, an advanced setting, isn't compatible with Product Listing Ads."

Although here at "Requirements" nothing is mentioned about the PLA campaign :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471188?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian, thanks for taking the time to answer my query. I've read both those articles since my last post and agree that it's not very clearly stated.

I seen a slide deck that Tara West (hopefully have her name correct!) from Koozai presented at a digital marketing conference and she mentions they're incompatible as well but those are the only two references I've been able to find and I've been researching it like a mug for best part of the day.

I just assumed that the conversion optimiser would work with PLAs, in fact I would have imagined those were the type of ads that it would be best suited to work in conjunction with! I'll contact support tomorrow to double check but I don't hold much hope!

I'll update this thread when I find out for definite either way anyway. Cheers