Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Controlling spend with AdWords Scripts

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hi Everyone Smiley Happy,
have looked at a number of articles but not quite finding what i need or even know if its possible.

Am I able to pause either a single keyword or single adgroup based on its spend.
Eg when the chosen keyword or adgroup's cost for the day has reached a certain amount.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks
Whims Smiley Happy

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
4 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bronwyn V
September 2015

Re: Controlling spend with AdWords Scripts

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Whims, 

You should try automated rules. This is a great way to make changes in your account automatically based on your business needs. You can change anything from your budget, bids, ad status etc. 

Here's a useful article with use-cases. Hope that helps. Else, let us know. 

Best, 

Mini

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Thanks Mini, exactly what i was after. Had read it some time ago however at the time I wasnt fully grasping some of it.. however after giving it another read.. easy peasy!

Thank you :-)
Whims
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Happy to help Smiley Happy

Keep posting,
Mini

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

These things always seem to make more sense, Whims, when they're more immediately relevant. Smiley Happy  I only half understand articles about new features until i'm ready to use them.

P.S. It was fun to see you last week--I looked for you a couple of times after we arrived so we could chat at more length but I guess we were always going in different directions.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Both work (script and rules), but scripts are tighter Smiley Happy. You can run them every hour, whereas rule can do once a day at their best. My 2 cents, please don't throw chrome frisbees at me Smiley Happy.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hey there Theresa :-)))

These things always seem to make more sense, Whims, when they're more immediately relevant. Smiley Happy  I only half understand articles about new features until i'm ready to use them.

So true, often find the best way of learning is by 'doing' and if no immediate relevance ... is no immediate need for the doing 

Would have loved to had more of a catchup however they seemed to keep us all pretty flatchat and busy with the various planned sessions etc they had going on

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hmm where would i start with a script for this Adwiser? Can you point me to the information I will need? Ideally I would like it to be running a check every hour .

I use scripts atm for checking and logging keyword QS changes weekly and also overall account QS on a monthly basis

Thanks
Whims

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hey, Whims. Over here: https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/examples/complete-scripts#pause-keywords

You only have to edit a bit.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Thanks AdWiser, will have a play with it.
My js skills arent the best but I know enough to be dangerous lol

Cheers
Whims :-)