AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Confused re Quality Score despite high CTR etc

[ Edited ]
DH
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
DH
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hoping someone can tell me what im missing...

I have an ad group with 3 keywords, all very similar. The CTR on these keywords are all around 10%, im still getting heaps of impressions and click, the cost per click is low and position high. However the quality score is 2,3 and 3??

I assumed this would be due to the landing page quality but according to the keyword diagnosis:

Keyword relevance: poor

Landing Page quality: no problems

Landing page load time: no problems

Surely this means the ad text isnt relevent? But every keyword is used in the ad text, not sure how it could be it any more relevent.

Im using modified broad and phrase match types. The rest of the campaign has decent quality score levels (5+).

Given all this im not sure whats left to be causing the low quality score and "keyword relevance: poor". The only thing is they are not converting but as far as i know conversions arent supposed to effect keyword?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DH
September 2015

Re: Confused re Quality Score despite high CTR etc

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Google is talking about the technical aspects of your landing page, not the relevance !

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

How long those keywords on your campaign? Are they relatively new?

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Few other things can affect your QS.

Make sure that your creative and landing pages are relevant to keyword. I don’t trust those Google "markings" Smiley Happy

Another thing is lack of history for these keywords, if these are new terms in your account, it can take few days (depending on volumes) to build history and this would normally result in your QS increasing.

What match types are using?

What is QS score of other keywords in your account/campaign? Account/campaign/keyword history can be affecting your QS

Found Online:

If Google finds that a keyword has provided poor results for advertisers in the past it may receive a diminished quality score from the start.  Either avoid the keyword or work on increasing its quality score by increasing the Click through Rate.

If the keyword is not truly relevant to your product or service it may cause relevancy issues.  Keywords should be as specific as possible to the product or service. Example of Poor keyword for 'ballet shoes': footwear.  Example of Good Keywords: ballet shoes, ballet slippers.

Suggestions:

• If keywords are new, you should wait few more days.
  • If your keywords will remain their QS you should increase max CPC (if you are already in high positions, this should not affect your avg. CPC)
  • If problem still exist, try new ad copy and test new landing page.
  • Check for any past data for this keywords and their performance.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DH
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Google is talking about the technical aspects of your landing page, not the relevance !

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm curious about this.  Can you share what the three keywords are, and what the ad text that goes with them is?

(Your situation sounds similar to mine).

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

There are many, many reasons you might see a low QS on a keyword with a high CTR--10% is good in my book, but in other industries that could be bad.

But I have a question for you: If you're getting a 10% click through and they are not converting, why bother? You're just wasting your advertisign budget on visitors who don't end up as a conversion, whether that's a sale, a lead, a newletter sign-up. It doesn't really matter, does it?

It's nice to have a great CTR like that, but this is not just about bringing in prospects, it's about bringing in qualified prospects who are likely to take you up on your offer. If you can't figure out a way to convert the visitors, drop the keyword and the ad group! With a QS of 2 or 3, you are likely paying quite a bit for your clicks.

Ok, another question. Do you have a specific landing page for this group that mentions those keywords and use them as leverage to get your conversion? If not, you might try that first.

Oh, no, the conversion rate is not considered when assigning QS.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

DH
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
DH
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

They have been there about 2 months now. So still fairly new but i would think enough historical data that it shoudlnt be an issue?

DH
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
DH
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for you details response mpstrnk Smiley Happy

As i mentioned in my previous reply they have been there a couple of months now so i dont think is should be to do with a lack of history.

QS accross other keywords is generally good, 5+. These keywords in this ad group is are the only with issues. I should also mention previously for around a month they were in another ad group. I moved them to a new seperate ad group to ensure they were extreemly relevent, ad text was optimised etc. QS was the original issue that made me move them also.

DH
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
DH
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Pete for the response.

Absolutely agree re not bothering if they are not converting. It was through the process of culling some of the worst performing keywords that i started looking into this and its only curiosity that keeps them there (for now). My question was more about getyomh a better understanding of actual reason in this case so i could optimise my accounts better in the future.

The landing page for these keywords isn't particularly good. It does mention the keywords by isn't really optmised for it. If thats the cause for the low QS them im happy with that. I dont really have much ability to change the site at the moment so ill just remove the keywords (if i did i think leveraging them to get conversions as you mention is spot on), it was just that the keyword diagnosis seemed to suggest this wasnt the issue which made me question what the problem was then. If it is in fact landing page quality then that answers my question Smiley Happy

DH
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
DH
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks marketsharer.

This makes sense. I guess i assumed that landing page quality was the indicator of issues with landing page relevence, however if its more an indicator of technical issues (or lack of) then this would be accurate. Landing page while working isnt really optimised for the keywords so the QS would be accurate in this case.