Guide Me
star_border

Confused about keyword plurals

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Do you add plurals?

What is the benefit, if any, of adding "blue widget" and "blue widgets"? The former triggers the search term "blue widgets" anyway.

What about +blue +widget and +widget +blue?... +blue +widget will trigger the term "widget blue", so what is the benefit of adding both variations?

I haven't noticed any difference in CPC from adding both variations. I get that its more specific, I just don't understand the benefit? If anything, surely this just makes an account more difficult to manage?

Thoughts please?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Confused about keyword plurals

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi GG_HE,

We'll show your ads for close variations of your phrase and exact match keywords to maximize your potential to show your ads on relevant searches. Close variations include misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as widget and widgets), abbreviations, and accents. So there's no need to separately add close variations as keywords.

Kathleen

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @GG_HE,

There's no point adding both singular and plural of the keywords in question. They are covered under Close Variants. If you have 'blue widget' or 'blue widgets', either of the two cover the other variant and the ads will be triggered. Hence, no need to add both variations.

Most importantly, no matter what match type of the keywords you have, close variants are always in the play. 

Now coming to Broad Match Modifiers, unlike phrase match BMM does not care for the word order in the search phrases. So, if you have +blue +widgets, it will trigger your ads for any search term that has both blue and widgets terms in any order.  

Adding all these variations separately as keywords is definitely like making campaigns a mess and difficult to manage. It somewhere will also be affecting the overall performance of the campaigns. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks guys, this to me makes logical sense and that is how my account is structured. Yet time and time again I see accounts with these close variants.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Would it therefore be worth having;

+blue +widgets
AND
+blue +widgets +large

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@GG_HE,

Having both +blue +widgets AND +blue +widgets +large as separate keywords still makes sense.

While the former is enough to trigger ads for the later search query, adding it as a separate keyword gives you freedom to be more strategic. You can bid differently on both, which otherwise wont' be possible if you have only +blue +widgets as the keyword. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great, that was my thought exactly.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi GG_HH,

One thing to consider is search intent. Often, plural will indicate intent to purchase while singular indicates research. By including both the singular and the plural versions, you can bid differently on the 2 keywords. Plural form may be worth more to you.

I'm not sure of the value of having both +blue +widgets and +widgets +blue. Look at the performance of each, the CTR, the CPC and the conversion rate. It could be the two have different performance and that would justify having both in the account so you can bid differently on the two keywords.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords