AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Concerned about high percentage bounce rate & lack of conversions

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are concerned about the high percentage bounce rate & lack of conversions from our 2 Campaigns. We did paused the campaigns over the Christmas period but even before Christmas our conversion rate was very low, 6 weeks before Christmas there were only 33 conversions. The bounce rate is average 80%. The ads are all directed to a specific landing page, we are using negative keywords. We have followed the advice of Google & other experts. We are not sure what to do next. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Keith

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Concerned about high percentage bounce rate & lack of conversions

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Keith,

In addition, I would like to say that in case you have specific stand alone landing pages for your Adwords campaigns, you can expect a high bounce rate. But if you tend to adjust the bounce rate using set Time out function i.e. when you know that a visit worth at least 25 seconds or more (just an example) can be worth to you, it can help in further deep understanding of how you interpret this important metric.

Read this official blog post to see how to make that work.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Keith,

As you mentioned you have specific landing pages, that can be a reason for the 80% bounce rate (specific pages normally has all the required information at one place, so people tend move away (bounce) after just visiting that page).

Keep an eye on the keywords triggering your ads and make sure your ads are triggered by targeted keywords.

Continue to add negative keywords as you are doing now.

Make sure your ads are engaging and targeted. And the message in your ad is aligned with your landing page content.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1704392

Try testing different landing pages - with different page layout, content or offers, if you can.

Info

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hiya,

High bounce rate are more common when using broad matche KW... 

Did you check the keword details report to see what search queries generate the traffic?

Also, conversion rates are usually high during the Xmas period but can decrease from mid december...

Cheers

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Keith,

In addition, I would like to say that in case you have specific stand alone landing pages for your Adwords campaigns, you can expect a high bounce rate. But if you tend to adjust the bounce rate using set Time out function i.e. when you know that a visit worth at least 25 seconds or more (just an example) can be worth to you, it can help in further deep understanding of how you interpret this important metric.

Read this official blog post to see how to make that work.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj