AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Compulsory word option?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I only want my ads to show if the searcher has typed in "Canberra" or "ACT" (city) with their search term, is there a way to stop my ads showing unless they have the compulsory words in the search term?

I've found many complicated ways but I'm thinking there might be a simple "compulsory word" field somewhere?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Re: Compulsory word option?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Jordan, in terms of a "higher level, must have" Keyword, that's not possible, I'm afraid.  Each Keyword has to be defined specifically, although if you're creating a very large number there are tools and methods you can use to automate the creation process.

If you just want to ensure "Canberra" or the ACT appears somewhere in the search term, the easiest use is probably the Broad Match Modifier match type which uses a + sign in front of the individual words but which doesn't care which order they appear in.  With Phrase match, for example, if you used "Canberra pizza", only searches including Canberra pizza in that order, and with no other words between them would be matched, so you'd miss "pizza in Canberra" or "Canberra takeaway pizza".  Using +canberra +pizza would allow you to match against any search term including those two words, in any order, with any other words between them (or not).

Do make sure you want to insist on these terms.  If you're just trying to limit your Ad exposure to those areas, you may find it better to target using the Location Targeting settings rather than including the location in the Keyword(s).  To continue the pizza example, if you used "canberra" in all your Keywords you'll get a lot of matches, but you won't get a match if someone in Canberra just searches for "takeaway pizza".  Think about how you would search for your product (or better yet, what the most likely way your customers will search for your product).  Are they really likely to include the city name or will they just type the product?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Jordon

Yes you can do it. Use Phrase match keyword option for the two words you have mentioned in your campaign. It should do the work for you.

Please read here more about Keyword matching options - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497584?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nisal
and thanks for your help, does this mean I need to enter those words into all of my keywords? I was wondering if there is a way that I can just type in all the keywords I want then add a word at a higher level that all search terms also have to contain? Would make everything heaps easier

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Thanx for your interest to reveal more features of Adwords.

Answer to your query - Yes you can rewrite in one go.

Go to Keywords tab.
Select all keywords

Edit > Change match types

Change keyword type from - broad match -> phrase match

Hope it clarifies. Still Confused? Reply to this thread to help you better.

Regards,
Zippinder

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Jordan,

Well no you don't have to. Let me simply explain it to you. When you add Canberra keyword as a phrase match keyword your ad copy might trigger to "Canberra city " or even "Canberra travel options"

In Phrase match what ever they keyword you have used should come in exact order to trigger an ad. So using a "Phrase" instead of one word keyword is better way to use it.

See the "Tennis Shoes" Example here for better understanding

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497584?hl=en
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Jordan, in terms of a "higher level, must have" Keyword, that's not possible, I'm afraid.  Each Keyword has to be defined specifically, although if you're creating a very large number there are tools and methods you can use to automate the creation process.

If you just want to ensure "Canberra" or the ACT appears somewhere in the search term, the easiest use is probably the Broad Match Modifier match type which uses a + sign in front of the individual words but which doesn't care which order they appear in.  With Phrase match, for example, if you used "Canberra pizza", only searches including Canberra pizza in that order, and with no other words between them would be matched, so you'd miss "pizza in Canberra" or "Canberra takeaway pizza".  Using +canberra +pizza would allow you to match against any search term including those two words, in any order, with any other words between them (or not).

Do make sure you want to insist on these terms.  If you're just trying to limit your Ad exposure to those areas, you may find it better to target using the Location Targeting settings rather than including the location in the Keyword(s).  To continue the pizza example, if you used "canberra" in all your Keywords you'll get a lot of matches, but you won't get a match if someone in Canberra just searches for "takeaway pizza".  Think about how you would search for your product (or better yet, what the most likely way your customers will search for your product).  Are they really likely to include the city name or will they just type the product?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yep, I'm pretty sure they'll always put in Canberra or ACT with every search, I was just hoping there was a way that I could have all my keywords as products and then have a second list of areas we service, so the search would have to combine one location word and one product keyword to show the ad instead of having 1000's of keyword combinations to worry about. Thanks everyone for your help.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Jordan, I'll admit I'm intrigued over what you could be advertising that will always include a location term, but which also has "1000s of keywords".

If you're providing a very local service, Location Targeting could still work, it would depend upon whether people are looking for your product from outside Canberra/ACT (e.g. someone in Adelaide looking for a hotel in Canberra) or whether they are most likely going to be in Canberra (e.g. the pizza example).  Location targeting has different targeting options that can cover these choices and it doesn't just work on physical location.  For example, if you targeted Canberra with an Advanced Location setting of "People in, or interested in, my targeted location", your Keywords wouldn't necessarily have to include "canberra" as long as "canberra" was in the search term.  So, you could just use the Keyword hotel (which is way too broad, but serves as an example) and if someone in Adelaide searched for "hotel in canberra", your Ad could still be displayed as Google has picked up the interest in your targeted area.

Jon