Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Competitor appearing above us

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all,

I'm confused as to why our competitor is above us when we have a keyword quality score on our brand of more than 9/10. In order to try and appear above them i've increased our max CPC to £0.40 but this is not having an impact. What else can i do to make we always appear above them?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello @Darroch F,

I would suggest you to use ad extensions. You need to make sure that you're using all the site links that you can that are relevant to and your business, location extension, site link extensions, click to call extensions. If you can and depend on the location, you can use product review extensions as well. Anything you can basically do to boost the relevance of your ad through these ad extensions is going to help your ad to rank higher.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Darroch F,

You need to ensure that your ad rank is higher than your competitor.  I think it may be helpful to read through this article on Position, Ad Rank, and Auctions.  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722122

Are you referring to ONLY brand searches on your brand, or are there other keywords you're reviewing/discussing?

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Hi Darroch,

Add all the extensions that you can, work on that QS (10/10 beats 9/10 every time) Work on increasing your CTR. and Raise your Max CPC. I have some keywords set at $50 Canadian. (remember if you are selling Gum you may not want to bid that high) 

Here are a few links that may help you out. 

Choosing the Right Keywords: Google Best Practices

Improve your keywords for the Search Network

Making the Most of Display Advertising: Google Best Practices

Create a campaign that reaches new customers

Re: Competitor appearing above us

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Darroch,

Some good points made above, this is just to add 2 comments to consider.

1. You tried to switch your bidding strategy to "Target outranking share" on the settings page? See this snip:

Capture-oct7.PNG

2. Are you sure your competitors regularly outrank you? You may want to check on it by creating a report like this.

Capture-oct7a.PNG

Select your campaigns (or ad groups or keywords) and find the Details tab in the heading of the table. Click on it and select Selected Auction Insights to view the report.

Best,

Lakatos

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Darroch,

Your keyword ad rank must be low, when both your competitor and you enter for auction for ad's to appear.

To improve your quality score, Try adding ad extension of all types and try to increase your bid more.

Regards,

Manish